Turris Omnia 2022

Assuming these are 10g, SFP+ is usually cheaper than copper, at least for switches. Look at the pricing of the CRS305 vs anything with 4+ copper 10g ports.

I am sure the community of folks looking for a 6-port 10 Gbps ethernet switch must be delighted (assuming the internal backplane in the omnia 2022 will handle the aggregate 60/60 Gbs required to feed all ports concurrently). I am just not convinced that this community has that large an overlap with the current omnia customers :wink:
According to amazon I get an 8 port 10 Gbps (one port optionally via SFP+) for ~377 EUR, while a SFP-10G-T module costs anywhere from 40 EUR upwards… so 8 * 40 = 320, or 6 * 40 = 240EUR extra to equip an omnia 2022 for all coper 10 Gbps. That is outside of the money I can spend on “toys” like this, and 1 Gbps ethernet modules are not that much cheaper…

I guess my point is, I am not in the target market for an all SFP+ omnia, as much as I like the approach. But that obviously is my problem, not team turris’.

Since https://www.discomp.cz/turris-rtrom01-rtsf-10g-sfp-metalicky-modul-10-gbps-rj45_d113354.html now gives a price-point for the TRTOM01-RTSF-10G SFP (or rather I just found that link) as 77.35EUR; enabling 6 SFP cages for >= 2.5 Gbps copper ethernet will check out as 6*77.35 = 464.1 EUR. AS much as it pains me to admit, that is outside of my current spending plan (especially since that price does not include the 6 SFP omnia, I hope that there will also be more conventional options with say one optional SFP cage each for WAN and LAN).
Then again, seeing the stellar* support for turris 1.0 and 1.1 I am pretty confident that I will see my kickstarter omnia supported for long enough to save the funds for a more modern replacement :wink:

*) I fully 100% mean that, I am impressed how much effort you guys still put into these devices (and keep them going and supported by modern kernels) while industry standard would be to simply abandon these and add to the resource waste problems we all suffer from.

3 Likes

i guess i’m a bit late to the party, but this is AWESOME! exactly what i have been waiting for!
where can i send my money to get one of the first of these bad boys?!

primarily interested in “upgrading” my omnia to arm64. as a bonus i could finally see if my ISP (init7) really upgraded my 1G FTTH to 10G at no additional cost or if they just tell that to everyone, because no sane home user has a 10G FTTH router anyway… :wink:

oh and please offer a version without all the wifi stuff, would be a real shame if that went straight to the dumpster to make way for other pcie expansions i already run on my omnia (lots of hdd’s & ssd’s)

to anyone mentioning prices: the macciatobin and clearfog pro are somewhat comparable platforms, so i think if they make an “unpopulated” TO2 with the cheaper CN9130 at $350 might be doable, but a fully kitted SN9131 with dual 10G? not unless silicon gets cheaper again (the clearfog is currently at double the price it was announced at a year ago…)!

2 Likes

Welcome to the party! Thanks for the interest. Still, no ETA, but 6x SFP version was much appreciated at MWC Barcelona. Unpopulated Turris Omnia 2022? Let’s see :thinking:

2 Likes

I can see why that would interest people at MWC, but it’s probably nothing for homeusers.

then again i doubt there is a big enough market for homeuser routers above $480… (which i personally think is the lowest realistic price target for the specs given at current silicon prices) so i can see why you need to go after corporate users. but then are those really interested in a 6x sfp+ AND wifi box? i’d think they’d be more interested in a 6x sfp+ wired only box and separate wifi access points that can form a mesh. kinda like unifi’s solutions but open source.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: NIC.CZ censorship

Many markets out there. There will be some people at home happy to buy this “monster”, but most don’t…so SMB, for example.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: NIC.CZ censorship

The Turris devices are a great pieces of CZ-made hardware and I’m looking forward to the new one. CZ.NIC is apparently planning to make the Turris project its own entity, which also makes total sense to me from a business point of view.

Finally, I think it’s not well reasoned to link and question the credibility and security of this project because CZ.NIC in a completely different branch of their operation decided to block something harmful.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: NIC.CZ censorship

great to hear that there is going to be a successor!

sharing my thoughts on specs:

• Networking: should support 2.5Gbps Nbase-T on at least two ports, better all ports. GbE is not enough, it’s not year 2000 anymore. Power consumption of 5/10Gbps over copper is probably a prohibiting factor.

• CPU: should aim for max single thread performance, quadcore is probably overkill.

• Memory: 2GB should be more than enough for router workloads, anything more will just encourage misapropriation.

2 Likes

Well, I run some other services on the router, so 4gb/8gb ram and some more cores will be made to good use.
Just my $0.02

4 Likes

define misapropriation. you mean a router should not do anything besides routing traffic? but it´s not year 2000 anymore… :wink: i would agree on 2gb being enough for now if the ram would be upgradable.

3 Likes

Due to lack of any recent official update for Turris Omnia 2022 I dug around and found this info at Linuxové telefony jsou tu, stavíme virtuální laboratoř a trezor na tajemství - Root.cz dated 20.06.2022:

Open-source Turris routers in 2022

Support for Turris OS 3.x was discontinued this year. “We started an automatic migration, after which we ended support.” The original blue Turris 1.0 and 1.1 are still supported after eight years, and a new U-boot is being prepared for it, for example. “We’ve managed to get support for Blue Turrises into the Linux kernel upstream.”

Support for the Wi-Fi 6 standard is planned, with an upgrade kit for both Omnia and Blue Turrises in the pipeline. “We also have a new limited edition Omnia coming.” The forthcoming Turris OS 6 will be built on OpenWrt 21.02, will come with WPA3 support and will only offer the reForis interface. “We’re preparing to notify security events using the Morce notification tool.” A Czech version of the Have I Been Pwned service is also in the pipeline, which will be based on data measured by Turris routers.

Also in the pipeline is the all-new Turris Omnia II, which will have a quad-core 64-bit processor, at least 4 GB of RAM, Wi-Fi 6 support, two 10GE interfaces and m.2 slots. After that, we’ll see, depending on the shopping interest."

A user question from the comments section:

On Turris, will it be 6E or just 6? I wouldn’t be upset if I could escape to other frequencies, at least in obyvak.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

3 Likes

No luci? Or is Luci part of reforris?

I think this is intended to convey that the classic “foris” will be gone for good, luci likely will still be available as before to allow the advanced administration feature to continue to work.

2 Likes

LuCi is still available in TurrisOS 6. Old Foris is gone.

1 Like

That’s just smoking around from the Turris team. When I asked on the InstallFest booth, they basically said they only have a veeery prototypish thing that’s nowhere close to switching to production. So I think so far TO II is still in the phase of collecting ideas and figuring out which ones can be stuffed into one box that can be built from currently available components.

3 Likes

And with current chip and material shortage situation it will take IMHO at least two years if they start production preparation in this very moment before there could be units to sell

1 Like

Yeah right? The current design needs to be future proof so the device will not lack anything once it can be bought.