Turris Omnia 2022

Is planned design like current Omnia where is possible to move it to case with NAS box? Primary my turris works like router but secondary like NAS.
Thank you

3 Likes

Thanks for Your question, @klux. Not at the moment, but we will see…anyway, noted - thanks for keeping it coming, guys. The more interesting ideas, the better :black_heart:

2 Likes

Greetings from MWC Barcelona!

4 Likes

7 Likes

I need such tower, 2nd picture :star_struck:

1 Like

What’s in the huge one? Looks like 6 SFP+ and either 8x8 or dual 4x4 wifi. Hoping for plenty of m.2 slots.

1 Like

It will be certainly a special kind of tower!

1 Like

6x SFP, Wi-Fi 6 and…5G ready.

5 Likes

And how are the buses?

Why only sfp? Better to have 4 eth ports 4 sfp. Nobody is ready to fully migrate to sfp.

Where is the problem of having a device with only SFP cages and connecting SFP modules according to your decision? It gives you much more freedom, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Freedom depends on kernel drivers.

2 Likes

See switches from other brands, for same model they have different variants, sfp only, eth only, or sfp+eth.

Now when I want to connect my laptop or other devices which have eth then I will need a separate eth switch or adapter for each.

How many sfp ports I can utilize realistically?

Sfp-only switches mostly used at data warehouses, isn’t this device a “router” and targeting end users?

If they’re 1G SFPs, the only likely use would be for a fiber WAN for which you’d only need one. Maybe 2 if you have a backup WAN.

If they’re 10G SFP+s, then the issue is that it’s another 50 USD to put a 10GBASE-T transceiver in there. Even if you just want a 1Gb port, it’s cheaper but still a noticeable added cost.

Ideal would probably be something like 2 SFP+ and 4 10/5/2.5 ports but that would probably inflate the cost by quite a bit. Perhaps 2 SFP+ and leave the rest as 1g or 2.5g so you can use a fiber WAN + connect to a 10g switch.

2 Likes

Nahh why hold back. Give us 6x QSFP+ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

EXACTLY @tac2! :star_struck: Noted, we must rethink it and…let’s see :sunglasses:

2 Likes

And what about a Ampere altra 80-core?

And mind you, I want passive cooling :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I guess price is an issue, as I assume that an all-sfp port switch is not going to be cheaper than an all copper port switch… so the module prices come on top… This sounds OK if one’s home networks runs on fiber optics already (so individual optics need to be purchased anyways) but for plain copper infrastructure it can be unexpectedly pricy… (having one or two cages for the LAN (as well as one or two for the WAN) is IMHO a great idea, especially if these would allow up to 10 Gbps speeds. But then this clearly depends on the local use-cases, I am sure there will be those who have just been waiting for an offer like this :wink:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to get my hands on one of those :slight_smile:

Zigbee, Z-wave or even better Thread/Matter support for use as an iot gateway without an additional USB dongle would be great!

3 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: NIC.CZ censorship