Turris Omnia 2022

I know it will be at least deactivable, but WiFi hardware (cards, antenna, diplexers,…) add to the cost and it is kind of an economical/ecological waste if you are certain not to use them.

I have my omnia sitting behind a metal door, next to the fiber output and the in-wall RJ-45 plugs termination and I am using dedicated AP that I can put in more strategic locations.

4 Likes

Most likely. Most of the new equipment if for those slots. There will definitely be some and most likely all of them.

5 Likes

Please abandon eMMC and use uSD only in the new Turris.

8 Likes

+1
I have my incoming fibre in the basement, not exactly ideal for wifi. I also have a dedicated ap setup.

However, as I got my wan side upgraded to 10G some weeks ago I really love to put my hands on a omnia2022, with or without wifi :blush:

2 Likes

I would like easy access to the serial console port. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That would be cool. I really like the way they do it on the Kobol Helios4. It’s just a micro-usb cable.

Well, it can be replaceable, if proper care is being taken.

Hardkernel uses a socketed eMMC on their ODROID SBCs. They sell several different capacities, so users can mix and match. Or replace, when the flash is worn out. Making Turris pin compatible with such eMMC modules would be interesting.

There is also USB adapter available, so you can read/write eMMC on your computer (not the private area, though).

6 Likes

Well, interesting, thanks. Still I would prefer to opt for standard consumer grade SD-card derivatives as I expect much less issues with sourcing replacements for the foreseeable future even at remote places.

7 Likes

yeah even without a chip shortage given the features on the board i’d be anticipating a substantial ( ~23-35% ) price increase…

consumer level multigig hw is far from ubiquitous sadly…

300 pounds/euros = $600AUD? (with shipping I can’t get a new current model for less than 750)

so I think anything turris can do to keep it below the $950AUD ( 500 pound ) level is going to be great…

1 Like

Be sure that we will do our best to keep the price as low as possible, but as You said, these current semiconductor problems are not helping us at all.

4 Likes

But that makes it even more attractive if a wire-only version was offered as well… that could shave off some of the pain, and still would offer a highly attractive device :wink:

4 Likes

[adding one sentence:]… when having the option to add such hardware later on via a hardware package that can be bought via Turris shop (or any partner shop) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Like to replace Wi-Fi 5 card for Wi-Fi 6 or so on? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is one of the use cases, when thinking of Turris Omnia “1” - I myself bought two expensive WLE1216v5-20 cards and now ordered the much cheaper but still not cheap AsiaRF Wifi6-card (together with other users of this forum to get better shipping costs from Taiwan, but we are waiting since weeks now as the cards were out of stock cause the run on those cards obviously was overwhelming).
But indeed I thought about the following case: Buy a Turris Omnia “2” with naked hardware (without WIFI6 or 5G-LTE-cards) now and maybe decide later that you would need one or more of those cards and get them at a reasonable price from your (Turris/CZ.NIC) shop or a dedicated partner shop.

3 Likes

OK, I see. We will see about this kind of thing, though.

Today I use a depopulated Omnia (no WiFi cards, not antennas) as my gateway router. It can just keep up with my symetric gigabit service so long as I do not attempt any shaping.

Originally I used three additional Omnias as access points with hardwired back haul. More recently I moved to a larger home and am using 5 Plume WiFi 6 SuperPods to have a proper mesh network (still with hardwired back haul).

For me, I would love to see Turris offer:

• A depopulated Omnia 2022
  • A MOX-based WiFi 6E AP with enough computes to handle future WiFi 6 algorithms and hardwired back haul capability
  • A similarly powerful MOX variant with enough radios to implement a descent wireless mesh when paired with a WiFi capable Omnia 2022
4 Likes

I’ve been using 802.11r without issues between my TO and a cheap Gl.iNet I have on another room. Roaming is seamless, and the setup couldn’t have been simpler.

3 Likes

Good to know. This post had led me to expect lackluster results compared to a managed solution Enabling roaming / 802.11r functionality

We’ll, you should read more carefully - it didn’t work on TurrisOS v.3.x (wpad-version 2016-12-19-8) while it worked on LEDE v.17.01.4 (wpad-version 2018-05-21-62566bc2-5). Just look at your wpad-version and if it is equal or newer to the one I used with LEDE in March 2019 - when I created that thread - it will work perfectly.
And even if the mentioned bug is not closed yet, strong pass passwords and wpa3 should make it less vulnerable.

1 Like

Yep, I think that’s what it is. I tried using it a couple years ago (more or less at the time of that thread) and gave up. The whole setup has been simplified since then and it works pretty much flawlessly unless the client device itself holds itself on to a specific BSSID, but I think that would be equally bad on proprietary solutions.

I have roamed seamlessly during video calls on my phone and laptop several times. It works very well.

2 Likes