Turris Omnia 2022

Sound great…
One more target for my LAB !

Thanks…

1 Like

+1; eMMC is a mixed blessing IMHO given that it is essentially non-replaceable, while SD cards allow both replacement if the flash is worn out, as well as quickly switching between different OS versions (okay, that is a feature only few will ever use, but still ;))

Mmmh, I think I heard @Pepe note that Marvell is pruning its SoC list (I might have misunderstood that argument however) so I would rather guess octeon instead of armada, nice…

I know that price is sensitive and probably not fully knowable at this time, but maybe you could tell us what region you aim for (without any guarantee) below or above 500EUR?

2 Likes

Assumption on twitter was Marvell CN913X.

2 Likes

Yepp, see my link how the description of the CN913X (up to 2.2 GHz) fits better than the EOLd armada 7040 (tops out at 1.4 GHz).

2 Likes

Sry, should have followed your link first :flushed: So it might be the OCTEON TX2 CN9131.

1 Like

CN9131 looks like a good match. I wonder how much a 10/100/1G/2.5G phy costs relative to just a 10/100/1000 one, since CN9131 supports 2 x 10G/5G + 4 x 10/100/1G/2.5G. Or will the LAN side go through a hardware bridge rather than each port direct to CPU (as on current Omnia)? In that case the 2.5G ports would be internal to the bridge, etc.

There reason for wondering about multiple 2.5G LAN ports is in case of adding WiFi6 / 6e APs where 1G isn’t quite enough. In that config one could also have external switch using 10G LAN port with multiple 2.5G ports and PoE.

Yepp, 2.5 Gbps ethernet ports on the LAN side would be nice. Now, I do wonder how much performance the CPUs will actually allow, 4xArmA72 is the same as a raspberry pi 4B, which allows traffic shaping up to 1 Gbps (it is pretty much limited to 1Gbps due to only having 1 Gbps ethernet), so I wonder how far up the octeon is going to “punch” just using its CPUs (I am sure it comes with some accelerators but these often are not ideally supported by Linux and also often come with restrictions in generality (like not having a competent traffic shaper implemented))… anyway, I fear that thing will end up outside of my price range (my problem however, nobody else’s fault that I am stingy)

Oh yes! On the one hand I’m hoping for faster ports, WiFi6, and so on. On the other I am hoping for a price at €200, or €300 at the most. Those desires are unlikely to be met simultaneously, especially at today’s component prices. Let’s see what 2022 brings us. If gigabit fibre comes here then I’ll need to have something that can shape that rate … that’s not going to happen for cheap.

1 Like

Well, a raspberry Pi4B with an additional decent USB3 gigabit-ethernet dongle can actually achieve that for around 100EUR, add to this your existing wifi-router as AP and switch and you are set ;).
Or, remove all not strictly necessary software from an original omnia and accept a little bandwidth loss (in my tests with TOS4, I got my onmia to traffic shape/NAT/firewall/DHCP up to 550/550 with bidirectionally saturating traffic, with unidirectional traffic it goes pretty close to 1Gbps).

2 Likes

Even the old Omnia doesn’t fit under €300, at least a new one with usual VAT rates.

I’ve bought Two Omnias used at the total price of 200€. So I was kinda lucky.

1 Like

Would be nice:

1. Power button at front, to shutdown and start
  2. Replaceable flash
  3. Better wifi adapters by default and optionally preinstalled SSD/5G adapter
  4. Hardware switch for ports. Additionally don’t know but if possible to have configurable ports to specific interface.

Current Omnia 2020 is around 300euro, so this will definitely not be less than 400euro.

4 Likes

I was remembering the indigogo prices, albeit imperfectly, where it was USD189 + VAT/shipping + USD49 for the 2GB ram upgrade. But still under €300. That was five years ago but … one could still dream that modern chips with new specs can come in at similar prices to 2016. Apparently the great chip shortage says no. :cry:

The current chip shortage surely doesn’t help, but I believe the difference was primarily because of a “crowdfunding discount”.

2 Likes

According to this source, RAM will be from 4 to 16GB…

http://dsl.sk/article.php?article=25490

2 Likes

This is great news. Just the other day I was looking at cases that’d enable me to repurpose an old Xeon D supermicro board I had lying around, now that my ISP started deploying 10G fibre.
A 10G-enabled Turris, even if I had to pair it with a 10G switch for a few extra ports (I want at least the NAS and the PC connected over 10G, though I’d ideally like to deploy 2 more 6/6E hotspots around the house/courtyard), is a way better solution.

2 Likes

Do you plan to do a non-WiFi version? It is not always needed at the router location and would help put costs under control.

2 Likes

I guess you’ll be able to deinstall/deactivate wifi cards just as you are now.
but I guess no-wifi versions wont’t be sold explicitly

For what it’s worth, as an original Indiegogo Omnia supporter I’ve enjoyed a few years of good services.

I recently gave up on using the Omnia for wifi. The lack of roaming/handoff on multiple access points made me chose TP-link Omada access points to replace the wifi elements. While having a single fast access point is great in many use cases, it was not in mine. So any option to buy the router without wifi cards would be a plus for me.

Also, my ISP (the wonderful Init7) is now offering 10Gbps fibre connection (well, they offer 25Gbps as well but that’s a bit ludicrous). So a SFP+ WAN and appropriate NATing/switching capacity could mean I would stay with the Turris crew through the upcoming upgrade cycle. Prosumer hardware in that category is few and far between and you could have a unicorn of a product.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Might be too early to ask, but will all WiFi, 5G and SSD be via M.2 slots?

1 Like