Wi-Fi 6 upgrade packs are now available to buy

@Pepe could you check it?

Hi there, @Pepe any date when Upgrade pack for Omnia with black case will be available?

I would like to buy the upgrade pack ASAP, but waiting for the black case. (I would buy with no case if there would be such an option). It would be great if Discomp could add this upgrade pack (with black case) to the catalog, so we can pre-order.

The problems with Wi-Fi in Omnia (from Indigogo) are really frequent, so I hope the new Wi-Fi will solve the problem (also bought wi-fi card for 2,4 GHz).

Thanks for the info.

1 Like

Hello,
I just received the upgrade pack for my Omnia (CZ11NIC13; Indiegogo) and I wonder how should I actually install it.
With 2 SMA connectors only 1 antenna is packed. The Omnia has 3 antenna with 2 diplexers.

(1) If I were to replace 2.4G WLE200N2 card with 2ch and connect the 2 new connectors I miss one antenna for the 4ch new card.
(1b) the same but using WLE900VX’s antenna so that one channel is disconnected. I am not sure if it’s safe to operate the card without load provided by the antenna on one of it’s channels (which anyway?).
(2) If I were to replace 5GHz WLE900VX cards with 3ch I have one SMA connector remaining.

The new AsiaRF card (NP1) has 4 channels named CON17, CON23, CON24, CON25.

I plan to go with (1b) so that I have the old multiband card doing 2.4G stuff and replace the singleband 2.4G. The question is which channel of which of the two cards (WLE900VX, AsiaRF) should or could be left disconnected. The diplexers of course has to be rewired w.r.t 2.4G/5G inputs.

I tried to locate a guide on how to connect the stuff (it wasn’t part of the shipment either) but there are many posts on this forum regarding various DIY predating the upgrade pack with various cards and additional diplexers/antennas that are not part of the pack.

TurrisTech tutorial on Youtube: Wi-Fi 6 upgrade kit installation - YouTube

2 Likes

The video is nice as an overview, but isn’t really useful to me as an upgrade guide. Is a PDF manual available? (Edit: I have the original crowdfunding Omnia, which I’ve never had to open!)

Hi,
I think the intended upgrade was replacing WLE900VX with new Wi-Fi 6 card.
Then use 2 antennas with diplexers to 2,4G + 5G and 2 antennas for 5G only.
So your option (2).

If you would like to use your option (1), you can buy one more antenna.

For ex. I plan to go with upgrade kit, which will use to replace WLE900VX. Then I bought AR5BXB112 card: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/836990135.html?spm=a2g0o.order_detail.order_detail_item.4.278ef19ctqenCt
which is 3x3 MIMO for 2,4G so I will replace also WLE200N2 card.
Then I bought 1 more antenna with 1 more RSMA pigtail.
So I will have 2 antennas with diplexers, 1 antenna 2,4G only and 2 antennas 5G only.
The reason for this are common problems with clients connection and I found here on the forum that someone tested this Atheros AR5BXB112 card with Omnia and it works good and the problems went away. Hope it will works :slight_smile:

FTR I went with replacing the 5G card as presented on the TurrisTech’s video. I do plan to either buy an additional antenna to have 802.11n on 2.4GHz with 3x3 MIMO or add additional asiarf card to have 802.11ax also on 2.4G with up to 4x4 MIMO. That makes one or 2 additional antenna with a few diplexers on top of it.
I also trashed the old wifi configuration with new default one via ReForis and than made few updates to it in LuCI to get closer to where I was. There were some changes in e.g. hw identifier for newly appeared card, also from wifi 1 & 2 i had wifi 2 & 3 until that subconfig reset.

Omnia-Indiegogo notes:
one SMA from the 5G compex card stayed unused and
moving the back-side antennas closer to centre as shown on video is not possible due to the shape the two holes have - they’re not round so the diplexers don’t get through.

@BobC
It went quite smoothly apart of changing the cover from my blue to silver one (I don’t intend to drill it) plus the back holes, so probably don’t bother to prevent accidental damage to the diplexers. Also a heat pad that gets stuck to the cover should be moved on top of the aluminium column on the CPU so that it sticks properly to new case if you change it, otherwise there’s no need to touch it!
IMO it’s wise to change the CR2032 battery though, they’re not meant to last forever (expiry date apart from actual energy left) by one that expires in more than 5 years.

@tenex Thanks!

I just learned the cheapest US shipping for my card is 50% of the kit price, so I’ve started looking for a DIY alternative.

EDIT: I’ve decided to get a separate tri-band AX5400 unit that I can place near the center of my home, as my Omnia is next to my cable modem and printer in a corner of my home. My Omnia will still be my primary router.

This is not big deal, you can drill them to round shape manually with conical drill. Omnia casing is made of soft metal, so you don’t need a drill. It is enough to, just rotate few times with conical drill by hand. :wink:
obrázok_2023-01-12_071923905

2 Likes

Hi there,
just to let you know, who don’t look at discomp e-shop.
There is new article “Turris Omnia Wi-Fi 6 upgrade kit - black case”

The expected date to be available is 31.1.2023.
It can be pre-ordered now.
Thanks @cz.nic @turris_team

1 Like

Looks like there will be a kit without case as well

3 Likes

Incredible! So glad they listened to us :smiley:. Thanks a lot @pepe and the rest of the team!
Now I can finally get an upgrade kit without having to pay either ~9€ on a case that will catch dust or 35$ shipping on a 39$ wifi card from asiarf (as it’s not available anywhere else inside EU). :partying_face:

I absolutely agree with @Pepe that this shouldn’t be the only option available. Corporate and non-technical customers would clearly prefer the kits with a case included. But for many of us nerds it’s just another unnecessary expense which creates trash that needs to be recycled. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, you were faster than me. :slight_smile:

It seems that someone in our office changed their mind about the upgrade kit without the case. Because of that, today in the office, we prepared several Turris Omnia Wi-Fi 6 upgrade kits with black cases and also without the case. It should be delivered to Discomp on Friday.

5 Likes

I look forward to the purchase.

Anyone know how to pay a discomp invoice from USA? There is a QR code for payment but it’s not working for me with Pixel 7 Pro. When scanning it doesn’t automatically redirect and I tried pasting the code manually into a browser but no luck.

Edit: Nevermind. Placed another order and all is good.

I just received my upgrade pack today. Either tonight and tomorrow morning I’ll be upgrading…

I used my debit card directly.

Ordered wichtout case right away i saw this! Thanks alot! :slight_smile:

BTW: if all 4 antenas are placed in the back (as there are already 5 wholes) would it seriously harm the reception? I just need to cover 50m² :smiley:

1 Like

Sorry for the necro-posting but I have a question.

I think the main issue is whether you can run your 2.4G network in AX mode.

So what if you replaced in 2 more diplexers and added a second of the 4channel cards and wired appropriately your 5 and 2.4 antennas?