Wi-Fi 6 upgrade packs are now available to buy

I totally get that you don’t want to become a distributor for wifi cards, I didn’t really expect to get a positive answer.

But I don’t really understand why there are no plans for a “kit without case” option. It seems that it’d be more hassle to manufacture & store a second kit with the black case, which still leaves the users with a blue case (not sure if there were even more colors at some point) without any good options.

Replacing the upper case always leads to the old one unnecessarily becoming waste while a “drill your own holes” edition would perfectly align with the focus on DIY & user friendliness that turris is strongly marketing and known for.

And NO: a spray paint can never be a replacement for the original high quality powder coat. I’m sorry to put it so bluntly, but whoever thinks using a spray can might be an adequate replacement neither has taste nor any idea of how uncomparable the durability of those two options is.

Offering the kit without the case would solve all those problems by reducing waste, saving storage space in your distribution chain, ease stock planning, beeing universally useful with all colors and could even be sold a bit cheaper.
Which is imo also a pretty good point, as >80€ is more than most other gigabit routers, some even with wifi 6, cost for the whole device (e.g. WAX206).

6 Likes

Actually it is the other case around: Ordering that package with a case leads to a brand new piece of metal case that is going into trash right after delivery…as i would anyway drill the wholes into my old case.
Sad to waste resources for metal and production even though that DYI concept is very common for the Turris users. (others would actually by any upgrade pack…just a totally new router…)

1 Like

Why trash? Just sell it.

Thats what we ask for the source…they should sell it seperatly ;). I don’t want to buy something that i don’t need to directly sell it…i just don’t want to buy it in first place.

1 Like

And what the antenna and other stuff?

This is fine and nobody forces you to buy it… in the end this is really just a convenience package collecting a useful set to noob users like me so no external sourcing of the individual components is necessary. I understand why they will try to keep as few variants of a niche product as the upgrade kit as possible, just to keep the price low. I guess we all can voice our opinion here (and I did as well above) but realistically we are unlikely to affect this decision (as I assume the problem is not that team turris does not want to make us users happy, but that the whole thing needs to make economic sense).

Nothing? That is not duplicated…the 1 additional antana are needed…thats why a whole must be drilled…
And pleace don’t start to argue now around with creating your own DYI antenna…yes of course it would be possible…so why not sell a totally configurable package…but that was already answered to be not possible…but having two simple packages one with and one without case…that is obvious. (at least for me and seemingly many others)

1 Like

Agree…i don’t need to buy there. Cause it is not attractive if you can order the parts also separatly. But for convenience (as you mentioned) it would be easier to have get it from Turris partner, without googling around. And yeah, it is maybe not so economical in-attractive to sell it without case for 5 bugs less…but still have the convenience factor in. And don’t tell me, that two boxes with electronics and cases makes such a big difference…it is even easy possible with automatic packaging, what i doubt is the case at Discomp

Sorry to disappoint you… I assume that for low volume (of sale)/low revenue items it does matter whether to stock one or more different variants. The way I would tackle this is opportunity cost, could the same logistic effort (storage and procurement) yield higher returns with a different product. I have not seen the numbers, but I assume that Discomp/team turris know what they are doing here…

Too bad there is no DBDC kit for Omnia

2 Likes

…as that would help freeing up one of the PCIe slots for other uses? That has some charm, but isn’t the MOX DBDC option offering fewer antennas/spatial streams (resulting in different trade-offs)?

1 Like

I would like to use some WiFi6 card in my Turris Omnia with DBDC … all mPCIe slots are full (LTE, WiFi, SSD disk). Can I use the AW7915-NPD card in my Omnia router?

Can I use the AW7915-NPD card in my Omnia router?

Yes, you can use it. I am using it on my Turris 1.1 router just fine on daily basis.

2 Likes

According to Wi-Fi 6 upgrade packs are now available to buy - #4 by Pepe, the answer should be yes (but tested on Turris 1.1).

There are many arguments why you want to refrain from letting your customers drill anything. For example, they can get hurt while doing it. They can damage the router, it wouldn’t look good, etc. You can not build PR on “Hey guys, we prepared Wi-Fi 6 upgrade packs, but you need to drill case!”, that’s not how things work.

We prepared the set to make it easy for most users, and I understand that it is not for everybody. We did not need to manufacture more black cases since we already had them. We need to put it together and send it to one of our distributors, who can take care of it.

We haven’t said that you could not buy the things separately. You can. If your focus is DIY, you can buy a miniPCIe Wi-FI card separately from the AsiaRF. We are using antennas from Sectron.

We still don’t have plans to sell Wi-Fi card separately, as we can not compete with many other sellers and distributors that import and sell such components in large quantity.

Hope you can understand it.

9 Likes

Hahaha, I was late to the party.

“Not in stock”

It appears that packs which were prepared in the office before the Christmas are already out of stock, but you can create order on Discomp.cz even if it is not available and they will let you know once it is available. :slight_smile:

We are going to prepare more packs next week.

4 Likes

Pepe, I would like to purchase an upgrade pack with black case (shipped to USA). Can I place an order on Dicomp.cz now and specify a black case, or should I wait until it is listed? If the latter, do you have an estimate of when black cases will be available?

1 Like

@Pepe - Any plans for upgrade kit for Omnia NAS case?
I guess probably not…

2 Likes

Hi I just received and installed the upgrade pack for my Omnia.

I am seeing massive fluctuation in the wifi speeds though. I’m very close to the router, no walls between it and the laptop.

With the original 802.11AC adapter I used to get fairly stable ~360Mbps.

Running iperf3 from the laptop to the router I see it fluctuating from ~100Mbps to ~750Mbps, with averages usually around 450Mbps.

Current averages are better than before but not by much - and the wobbly nature of the signal makes the overall experience worse.

This is all after quite a bit of tuning, experimenting and surveying with NetSpot. I ended up on AX mode, 5GHz band, channel 40 (for the least interference, and also outside of DFS range in the UK), 80 MHz band (I had terrible signal with 160MHz).

The only interesting thing I notices was that in LuCI, on the Associated Stations, my laptop’s TX rate flip-flops between:

1020.6 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 10, HE-NSS 2, HE-GI 1
1134.2 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 11, HE-NSS 2, HE-GI 1

but the RX rate fluctuates between:

1200.9 Mbit/s, 80 MHz, HE-MCS 11, HE-NSS 2
24.0 Mbit/s, 80 MHz

I’m wondering why the 24Mbit/s and if that could be causing the loss in speed.