What are your LXC usage

Hye,
Just want to know what are your LXC usage?
For me for now it’s just a debian stretch server with pi-hole installed. What are yours?

1 Like

I have one LXC running Nextcloud. (Turris 1.0)

I’ve planned to host multiple but I’m afraid of multiple unnecessary base OS services running so just one for now with Ubuntu Bionic and Softethervpn, Emby, Couchpotato, Nginx and few more services in plan (among others also Nextcloud)

Thx guys, the idea behind this thread is helping new people to turris like me to know what they can hosted services they can bring back to their home…router :wink: Leep it going!

Running syncthing and resilio sync “servers”, collecting backups from a larger server, tt-rss.

You can find some inspiration here: https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted/blob/master/README.md

4 Likes

I am having three containers.

Debian(plex.tv, ngircd, eggdrop bot, idlerpg bot)
Ubuntu(ngircd-testing, vsftpd secure ftp, znc irc bouncer),
Alpine (apache hosting virtual sites for my intranet)

Edit: to make my shell time easier with lxc, some changes …

Environment

.profile (just lxc part)

export KRYTEN=“KRYTEN_2X4B_523P"
export KRYTEN_HOME=”${LXC_ROOT}/${KRYTEN}“
export KRYTEN_ROOT=”${KRYTEN_HOME}/rootfs"
alias kryten=‘cd ${KRYTEN_HOME}’

export ABLE=“ABLE_2X4C_523P"
export ABLE_HOME=”${LXC_ROOT}/${ABLE}“
export ABLE_ROOT=”${ABLE_HOME}/rootfs"
alias able=‘cd ${ABLE_HOME}’

export HUDZEN=“HUDZEN_10"
export HUDZEN_HOME=”${LXC_ROOT}/${HUDZEN}“
export HUDZEN_ROOT=”${HUDZEN_HOME}/rootfs"
alias hudzen=‘cd ${HUDZEN_HOME}’

.aliases (just lxc part)

alias goKryten='lxc-attach -n ${KRYTEN}'
alias goAble='lxc-attach -n ${ABLE}'
alias goHudzen='lxc-attach -n ${HUDZEN}'
alias upKryten='lxc-start -n ${KRYTEN}'
alias upAble='lxc-start -n ${ABLE}'
alias upHudzen='lxc-start -n ${HUDZEN}'
alias downKryten='lxc-stop -n ${KRYTEN}'
alias downAble='lxc-stop -n ${ABLE}'
alias downHudzen=‘lxc-stop -n ${HUDZEN}’

.screenrc (all )

startup_message off
defshell -bash
defutf8 on
defbce on
nonblock on
nethack on
screen -t MAIN 0
screen -t KRYTEN 1
screen -t ABLE 2
screen -t HUDZEN 3
select 1
altscreen on
term screen-256color
bindkey -k k7 prev
bindkey -k k8 next
bindkey -k k9 detach
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string ‘%{= kG}[ %{G}%H %{g}][%= %{= kw}%?%-Lw%?%{r}(%{W}%n*%f%t%?(%u)%?%{r})%{w}%?%+Lw%?%?%= %{g}][%{B} %m-%d %{W}%c %{g}]’

1 Like

Nice link @milos, thanks

Ubuntu Xenial (16.04) LXC

• Nextcloud (using it for easy and transfer of files to laptop/desktop from and to my smartphone (Gigabit LAN + 5GHZ wifi speed) + Grauphel app to sync grocery list that i type on my laptop(Tomboy) to sync with my smartphone (tomdroid) when shopping) also to-do-list sync from (Hamster (time tracker) --> Getting-things-gnome (to-do-list) -->Tomboy(notes)–>grauphel sync. Nextcloud through LXC is you having latest version of Nextcloud MUCH FASTER. Currently i am already on version 13.0.1 while the package in Omnia is still on 12.0.5 and 12.0.6 has already been released AND even 13.0.1.

• Deluge (seeding torrents and downloading new torrents). With it, using YaRRS2 plugin for auto download of certain series without my intervention. In the end through a notification plugin it sends to me through email that it is finished downloading x, y, and z. Using scheduler plugin it have configured it to start and stop at certain time and day.

• Sabnzbd (using index website i download certain nzb files. But this way even in my bed doing the last things before going to sleep without having any computer that uses a lot of power to run it downloads at night while i am a sleep).

• Apache (As i have put a m.Sata drive in my Omnia i have created a directory to put software applications on it that i can reach without having my NAS turned on (using more power). This way even when i am not at home, i can reach this page and download files from it. Often when people say can you please fix/clean my computer this is very handy as you have the latest version always “with” you through the web. Also using KODI sometimes some repositories are being deleted. So this way i just put the exact file on my webserver for KODI to be able to read and install. So in the future even if the repository has been closed, i still have it locally without any hassle(putting on USB putting it in the KODi box etc. etc) to reach it using local ipadres of my LXC webserver.

• MariaDB + PHPmyadmin (Nextcloud needs it MariaDB, LDAP needs MariaDB and PHPmyadmin for easy managing of the databases and tables in it)

• LDAP + PHPldap (I am planning to install in the future freeradius server for managing WIFI-security instead of using wpa2.) Way more robust. Although my advice is still if a device can use cable, USE THE CALBE. (laptop for example always connected through cable).

• PHP (well this speaks for it self i guess… (Nextcloud needs it, PHPmyadmin needs it, PHPldap needs it.)

• ZNC: This is some piece of software for iRC.

• Future?: Well my eyes are on pi-hole as youtube ads starting to kill me from within when watching them on my phone. I have Lucky patcher installed to block ads, but because of the whole annoyance of not enough space on my internal flash(Samsung Galaxy S4) it doesn’t work completely. So good bypass right now and even if i or anybody else who is at my place has their device rooted to block ads. Not to forget Google Chromecast. Remember even 3 seconds wasted watching ads lets say every week, that is 2.6 minutes on yearly basis. People might think i am exaggerating, but there are A LOT of hidden messages in ads, keep your brain clean from filth and propaganda just like filling your belly only with healthy food.

2 Likes
  1. ubuntu Nextcloud
  2. ubuntu mailserver (postfix, dovecot)
  3. debian Plex tv
  4. ubuntu Samba domain controller
  5. ubuntu openhab
  6. ubuntu lab - for testing, not running 24/7

Turris Omnia:
Debian + HomeAssistant (including Z-Wave USB stick)

@ondrejo how many users? What services (file sharing, calendar…) ?

Only one container here, for I have a dedicated virtualisation gear (Intel NUC running SmartOS).

It runs Alpine Linux & Unbound DNS resolver, so I hit not 2, but 3 birds with one stone:

• I don’t depend on my ISP’s resolvers
  • trusted internal clients and DNSmasq uses Unbound as upstream resolver (so I could disable Kresd)
  • untrusted guests on a different wifi network use Unbound directly. This way they have DNS resolution, but don’t know my internal network.
2 Likes

Turris Omnia, Ubuntu (18.04 Bionic) running Jenkins. To make sure all 2GB of memory actually gets used :slight_smile:

1 Like

For a Guacamole server. But also, it’s a good ‘sandpit’ environment for me to learn about setting up a Linux server, firewalls, HTTPS certificates with LetsEncrypt etc.

@MagicFab At the moment I’m at the begining. Therefore only two user accounts and one admin. I’m starting with data share and will see how to continue. Plan is to add my kids and close family to share data first.
I also need to install Lets Encrypt to LXC, but can’t find any tutorial for it, so I have to little investigate. Probably Lets Encrypt will not be my option, because I have only public IP, but not domain itself. But I wan’t to use it public. I tested it short time with port forwarding :slight_smile:

And from last night, a basic debian with webmin installed to have a very customizable cron scheduler.

that

and a reverse proxy for Plex and my Synology

• Nginx
  • Guacamole server (actually 3 separate LXC: Tomcat, Guacd, and MySQL)
  • Home Assistant (with stick)

So, 5x Ubuntu total, Using Schnapps!

An Ubuntu instance running openhab2 (with Z-Wave dongle) and an Ubuntu instance running a Wio Node server (cross-compilation even works great for deployment of new nodes!). Wio nodes can make home automation cheap and incredibly versatile since you can build your own sensors. I’m curious about this “Home Assistant” others are using though.