Turris OS 4.0 alpha3 is out!

Dear Turris users,

We released a new version of Turris OS alpha3. We would like to hear feedback for Turris Omnia and Turris MOX. There are some known issues, which you can find in my second post in this thread. We don’t advice users/owners of Turris 1.0 and Turris 1.1 to test it due to kernel issues.

Most interesting changes in this release are:

• Added support for Mox OTP (command mox-otp)
  • Fixed LEDs on Omnia (rainbow)
  • SFP on Omnia can be now used by changing used device tree
  • Updater-ng should now require less memory to update system
  • Domains of DHCP clients in DNS were fixed
  • Various packages updates and new Luci theme called Rosy

If there is someone who would like to give it try on Turris Omnia:
We recommend to plug USB flash drive to your router and create snapshot, so you can rollback anytime and/or restore your configuration very easily.

You need to proceed these two commands in CLI:

$ schnapps create pre-4.0 backup
$ schnapps export 167 /mnt/backup

Assume snapshot number 167 was created and your USB flash is mounted on /mnt/backup

Then you can take another USB flash drive and put there rootfs, which you can download here and by using 4 LED (re-flash) method described in our documentation you can flash it to your router and start testing Turris OS 4.0.

We hope that you will enjoy it!
Turris Team

4 Likes

Known issues:

All platforms:

• tvheadend is not compiled right now and it will be fixed soon.

Turris MOX specific

• Mail notifications trough Turris servers are not supported yet, you have to use your own server for now.

Turris Omnia specific

• Second CPU ethernet port to switch chip is disabled, only one of two ethernet ports between CPU and switch is in use.

Turris 1.x specific

• Currently not working because of kernel issues. Please do not test this release on Turris 1.x

So email notifications should work on TO?

Can You prepare short manual “how to install TOS 4.0 on msata” ?
Or is it exactly (uboot parameters!) the same as https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/omnia_booting_from_external_storage ?

Yes they do work.

U-boot parameters are the same. You should be able to do something like schnapps import -f omnia-medkit.tar.gz; schnapps rollback factory.

1 Like

Great :+1:t3:.

Is support for Omnia‘s LEDs and SFP-Port now included in upstream or is it supported through downstream patches in Turris OS?

Downstream patches. LEDs are pretty much a nasty patch so we won’t be pushing that to upstream and for SFP device tree has to be updated. For that our kernel developer is going to push that to upstream once he has some free time.

Are the following packages…
comgt-ncm kmod-usb-net-cdc-ncm kmod-usb-serial kmod-usb-serial-option kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm
…included by default in that image?

I want to switch but the only way for me is to have Internet Access from start.

No they are not. But if you have Linux system and if you install required dependencies for updater then you can generate your own medkit with generate_medkit script. In general you need Lua 5.1, libcurl, libevent2 and fakeroot. You have to write additional updater script with Install(..) for your packages and: generate_medkit --updater-script SCRIPT.

The script is in following repository: https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/turris/turris-build.git
You want branch v4.0.

2 Likes

I remember there were some changes to switch configuration in earlier alphas (use of dsa instead of switchconfig or so)… Is it possible to configure switch (and vlans) through LuCi in Turris OS 4.0 alpha3?

Kind of possible. It depends on what you want. Luci can connect existing interfaces to bridges and every port on router has now its own interface. Although I haven’t found a way to create tagged vlan interface trough Luci: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/vlan/switch_configuration#creating_driver-level_vlans

1 Like

Thanks. I will do that. So SCRIPT is basicly a path to the file and a file is just user.lua that I already have in updater config. I made a schnapps backup and I will try to build an image tomorrow and if it succeeds then I am going to be happy (or not:P) version 4.x user.

Pretty much yes. Note that that file is used only to build medkit, it is not included automatically in medkit. That means that you should remember and add it also to medkit (I am not sure if adding additional files to medkit works but there should be an option for that, it just wasn’t tested).

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can I boot from HDD in Turris OS 4.0?