Turris Omnia 2022

Install network ups tools. It’s available in opkg. There’s even luci-app-nut for configuration.

2 Likes

I’d be happy if they just updated the SoC in the Omnia to an arm64 version with same or better performance and >=2GB RAM. Basically keep everything the same & “just” drop in a Armada 7040. Of course it’s not that easy, as it would need a rerouting for 10GbE/2.5GbE and M2. If not too expensive a CN9130 might be the better option.

Wait what? me looking up Armada 385 datasheet… nope, but wait lkml… omg! with 2x1GbE bonding, 2gbps could be achievable out-of-the box. But can the cpu route that much traffic wan<->lan?

Forget about bonding. This is an option in theory, in practice nobody has managed to get bonding working yet on the TO.
But: you can get yourself the Turris SFP+ -module, which can deliver 2,5 GBit - if you don’t need your SFP-cage for WAN. And, yes, these speeds can be reached (tested via iperf).

3 Likes

It would be great to have graphics adapter and keyboard support :grin:

I just read in another thread that Turris Omnia is 32-bit only. Seeing how many distros have dropped 32-bit support and it’s been in the air to drop 32-bit support in Linux for a while now I am curious how future proof Turris Omnia actually is?

I can’t decide if I should buy the new Turris Omnia w/Wifi6 or just wait. I’d like to buy a router that last for a very long time.

How far of is the new Turris Omnia actually ?

Is there really discussion ion the kernel list about dropping 32 bit support for good? OpenWrt being its own distribution really does not care much what other distributions do in that regards.

Wait for what exactly?

Nobody here knows (and/or those that know are not allowed to tell), my understanding was that the effort reached probably prototyping stage, but from there to mass production is a long way of, especially giving the current supply chain issues. So personally I would only wat for Omnia2.0 if I had a decent router for the next few years. I do own an omnia since 2016 and use it as primary router since a few years now, and on my 100/40 link it does everything I want and more… yes it is only 2 cores and “only” 32bit cortex A9 cores (but the A9 was one of Arm’s better designs performance wise) but it is holding up pretty well. It will probably struggle with my load at >= 1 Gbps wan rate, but I do not expect to upgrade any time soon (and even then I could just traffic shape the rate to something it can handle).

I agree regarding OpenWrt, I guess it’s more about additional software through LXC and Docker. There’s a recent thread regarding Nextcloud that seem to only support 64-bit going forward. The reason seems to be some 3rd-party library which they use, see the mentioned issue for details.

The Nextcloud example is a good one because it wasn’t the Nextcloud team that decided to drop 32-bit support in the first place but one of their dependencies which neither Nextcloud, OpenWrt or Turris can control (or want to maintain). X64 servers have been the norm for many years so it doesn’t come as a surprise that server software projects happily drop 32-bit compatibility.

In any case and independent of any long-term Turris roadmap: I’d be surprised if any new hardware wouldn’t be based on a 64-bit-compatible SoC.

2 Likes

There have been discussions regarding discontinuing 32-bit support in the kernel moving forward, but this would not impact kernels already released. 32-bit hardware can continue to run on any kernels released prior to support being dropped.

There is nothing wrong with running an old kernel either, as long as you don’t need the latest features. I have a few SBC servers happily churning along on 5.10, and even the Omnia itself was running on 4.14 I think it was until only a few weeks ago. The 4.1 kernel was released in 2015, by the way!

All that to say: even if 32-bit support was dropped from the kernel right this very moment, you could still run the Turris Omnia for many more years.

1 Like

I’m highly entertained that Nextcloud running on PHP is used as a serious argument to go 64bit. The argument does not make sense, but using a 64bit arch does, once you throw more than 4GB of RAM into the mix, it becomes a requirement.

Some software is indeed already written in a way that it requires a 64bit system or it just won’t build.

2 Likes

AFAIU Turris Omnia uses Marvell Armada-385 / 88f6820 CPU which is only 32-bit, so it can’t run 64bit OS.

Thus it’s quite hard to provide Vextcloud support for it, if the Nextcloud developers decided it requires 64-bit functionality

It’s not even the Nextcloud project, it’s some 3rd party PHP lib they use. This thread Cannot access files after upgrade to Nextcloud 25 - #9 by iDontWantAUsername - ℹ️ Support - Nextcloud community

1 Like

I do own an omnia since 2016 and use it as primary router since a few years now, and on my 100/40 link it does everything I want and more… yes it is only 2 cores and “only” 32bit cortex A9 cores (but the A9 was one of Arm’s better designs performance wise) but it is holding up pretty well. It will probably struggle with my load at >= 1 Gbps wan rate, but I do not expect to upgrade any time soon (and even then I could just traffic shape the rate to something it can handle).

I use the current Omnias (black and silver) in several locations with 1Gbit/s symetric links.
Some of them with hundreds of clients and several VLANs, some others with high Torrent traffic.
No performance issues whatsoever. Speed-Test usually still show around 850 to 920+ Mbit/s.

5 Likes

I tend to use sqm and in my testing from a few years my omnia topped out at 550/550 Mbps for bi-directionally saturating traffic, now with pakon I expect an even lower “ceiling”. Don’t get me wrong, that is still pretty amazing for a CPU design from 2007…

The heatsink on Omnia II case is ugly. I prefer Omnia I.

Better “ugly” than a wind turbine inside the router :wink:

2 Likes

They use the Marvell Cn9130 cpu, possibly the same cpu for the new Omnia.
OpenWRT support, no wifi, and they have a fan.

It looks like a router box from aliexpress. I would rather get a wind turbine.
Turris Team. You can do better than this. I hope it is just prototype.

Also, could Turris Team gives an update on Omnia 2022? It is end of 2022 already. Are we seeing it any time soon?

1 Like

It was something like @F.B called it: “Marketing teaser”, who liked your response. :wink: Oh… I almost forgot. We are not going to call it Turris Omnia 2022 anymore. It is nonsense and I can say that it will use a 64-bit processor. If there is something that we can share, don’t worry, we will do it.

We gave an update recently here:

7 Likes

I am impatiently waiting for this new monster.

1 Like