Turris MOX hardware specifications

Hi there,

Could you give some hardware information about basic module and connection speeds of CPU?
Or questioning the other way around: the only thing I miss in Turris Omnia is 10 GBit connection - via SFP+ for example and in addition to SFP-WAN.
Will Turris MOX be capable of 10 GBit network connection?

Best,
Ssdnvv

1 Like

I hope I can hijack this thread to avoid flooding the Omnia boards with Mox questions.

Related to the hardware specs I was wondering if there would be a 3G/4G module? Because the video mentions it’s small enough to fit in your pocket, well if I travel a lot I would definitely like to have a 3G->Wifi router with me.

Hello,

The CPU should be dual-core ARMv8 A53, which runs up to 1.2 GHz
Unfortunately, since Turris Mox is cheaper than Turris Omnia it’s not capable to route 10 Gbps and it doesn’t have 10 Gbps connection, but SFP module for Mox has as Omnia SFP port 2.5 Gb/s connection.

@Stefan_Midjich: Yes, there will extension module with SIM slot and LTE modem.

As TO has three 1 GBit lanes (CPU-WAN, CPU-eth0, CPU-eth2) the TO SFP-port could even be a SFP+ -port - maximum connection speed would still be 1 GBit for traffic routed on that port.
Therefore I’d need to know connection speeds of CPU. But it looks like all additional modules share the same lanes, right? In that case MOX CPU would not be capable of routing 2,5 GBit SFP+ + other network traffic concurrently.
I was first thinking of replacing my TO with MOX but it seems TO will keep the role of CZNICs flagship.

Another questions:

1. Will the case(s) have pre-cut holes for antennas?
  2. And will it be possible to power MOX via POE(+)?

I think that would be my usecase - extending Wi-Fi. Normally I would have bought other Omnias to get the option to use my preferred Wi-Fi cards, but that’s quite expensive (and somehow waste of TOs powers) …

A couple thoughts:

1. Is there a possibility of having a more powerful base unit in the future?
  2. Will there be more addons?
  3. Is the interconnect just a standard PCIe? If so, it wouldn’t be hard to make accessories.
  4. What about a module where you just put a PCIe card in it?
    Overall, looks pretty nice.
1 Like

To have clearer answers I enumerated my post above.
And in addition to @mattventura’s 1.:

1. Will you use mPCIe 2.0? That would have enough interconnect bandwidth for anything I could imagine.

Are you sure that there is a market for this thing? A router is perhaps the least “sexy” thing in computing. Essential yes. Security risk, of course… But this project is trying very hard to make the thing “attractive”. I am not convinced that there is enough interest in such a thing.

I would rather see Mesh modules to extend my Wifi to the bathroom…

1 Like

At least for me it’s a good spot on.
I’m currently using my old netgear wndr with openwrt as a wireless extender. I bought earlier asus extender - for some reason it just didn’t work - was working for my android tablet but was dropping all packets from my laptop.
Wndr works smoothly and seamlessly by extending 2.4G via 5G but it’s a bit an overkill. Small factor turris module fits perfectly well to my needs.

Hi Ssdnvv, we will publish full specification of Turris Mox at official campaign launch. But we have no support for 10 Gbps (pricetag reason).

Is there a possibility of having a more powerful base unit in the future?

Yes, that is possible, but we will not deliver it in 2018 for sure.

Will there be more addons?

Yes, there will be more modules in 2018 and even more we like to introduce in 2019.

Is the interconnect just a standard PCIe? If so, it wouldn’t be hard to make accessories.

This is just standard PCIe connector, but with our pinout. We call it Moxtet. We will publish all details and it will be possible make your own accessories.

What about a module where you just put a PCIe card in it?

That will be nice :wink:

Overall, looks pretty nice.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Will the case(s) have pre-cut holes for antennas?

There will be internal antenas, no holes …

And will it be possible to power MOX via POE(+)?

Not now, but we would like to do it in 2019 - CPU with PoE.

1 Like

This is indeed a very interesting project (I just got the mail about it), but some more detailed hardware specs would be nice. I currently do not need a range extender for my Omnia, but for future expansion capabilities I might order the MOX A base module.

I can see the case is made of plastic, how will it cope with the generated heat? I understand that the CPU would use lower clock than the Omnia does, so I assume it would not heat up as much.

Thanks for the quick answers.
I will eagerly follow your campaign. (With a stronger CPU and a PCIe-adapter I might get my 10 GBit network connectivity :wink: )

Early bird offer has “Access Point built on the Basic Module”

So does this mean that this special version of basic module has extension slot on it, or does it mean soldered wifi chip? And what wireless chip this will be (will it have support for both 2.4 and 5GHz)? Also will this special version of basic module still allow attachment of other modules as normal basic module?

It could be that basic module always includes the 2.4GHz wireless. But this isn’t listed anywhere where Basic module’s information is listed. In your video it says “with wifi card alone”… so I’m confused, that would be mean that there is a card slot in basic module?

Also, is there a limit to expansion modules? Can you have duplicates?

There is WiFi chip on SDIO (not on moxtet extension slot) - dual-band 2,4/5GHz, but only one simultaneously. This WiFi module is usually sold separately. In early bird offer is this SDIO WiFi included in the price.

There are some technical limits. Not more than 4 extension cards. Just one same at the moment. Later we may deliver simultaneously working cards (costs more), but not now.

The 34PIN header is for extra GPIO?
How much RAM will it have?
Does the ethernet switch on MOX C support 2.5Gbps to the Base Module e.g. be a 88E6341?
Is there a price region for the expansion modules?

Update: I think the switch will only get 1 Gigabit connection as it probably gets RGMII because the SoC may not have enough Lanes for SGMII.

Thanks for clarification. Does this SDIO wireless reserve the microsd slot for another usage, or is it different SDIO line?