Optimising the Omnia for gigabit wired throughput

all cables are cat 6A S/FTP and they do more than gigabit fine.

(I don’t have more than 4 devices in my LAN currently to test the full 10 gigabit throughput)
also the omnia delivers if running iperf against it full gigabit, only if it has to do routing i see this waveing

that

may still be happing, or may not at all, it is just not possible to discern without some information on that transceiver’s feature (implementation).

if that be the case than other nodes with GiB connectivity should exhibit a similar issue, but as @ChrisDeath demonstrated it does not happen on that user’s node (with SFP).

It would be interesting to see test results from any other forum user with GiB upstream connectivity provided through an external modem over the TO’s copper port.

Did you

?

Since you mentioned

is the subscriber line ds-lite or native dual-stack and is the modem in bridge mode and the client dialling up to the ISP, assuming PPPoE, or the modem in control?

It is native Dualstack and DOCSIS does no PPPoE here, it outputs a public IP and a Prefix on it’s ethernet port.
But i think I found the issue.
Doing iperf3 directly connected to the modem i get 0 retransmits

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.11 GBytes   953 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.07 GBytes   917 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Doing the same over the omnia

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   797 MBytes   668 Mbits/sec  2680             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   778 MBytes   652 Mbits/sec                  receiver

So i have for some strange reason packetloss between my modem and the omnia if i interpret the output correct.

Edit:
doing the same test from the omnia cli instead of the client gives more speed, but packetloss is still there.

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.02 GBytes   878 Mbits/sec  1115             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.01 GBytes   865 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Seems like the omnia and the modem don’t like each other.

Just to avoid a misunderstanding - the TO’s WAN port is set as DHCP client | DHCPv6 client?

About the packet loss you could check whether the TO’s firewall might be dropping some, enabling firewall log for the WAN port.

yes that is the case.
I will enable firewall logs and repeat the test.

Edit:
where can i enable firewall logs? @anon82920800

Also check that NAT (Masquerading) and mss clamping are not enabled (incidently) on WAN.

But that is the default?
that are currently the settings

config zone
	option name 'wan'
	option input 'REJECT'
	option output 'ACCEPT'
	option forward 'REJECT'
	option masq '1'
	option mtu_fix '1'

makes only sense for dial-up connectivity, e.g. PPPoE, but not on DHCP with the external modem.

Not sure whether it makes sense in DHCP with the modem or creates a double NAT, perhaps depends on whether the modem’s subnet is the same as the TO’s subnet.

1 Like

I disabled it now.

If i disable that i have no internet connection anymore, which makes sense i guess because i try in that case to route private IPs in the internet which can’t work.

beside that, no dropped packets according to the firewall log for the iperf3 test, only some broadcast from time to time that are not related to this.

that for the LAN test or the WAN test?

wan test, i don’t do any LAN tests currently because the LAN is fine.

FW ruled out then, potentially leaving some issue in the connection between modem and TO.

You could keep an eye on the TO’s interface statistics

ip -s l show wan | ip -s l show wan6 to see at which interface the drops are happening (IPv4 | IPv6) and whether on TX or RX

ok now I’m completly lost according to the output there are no dropped packets :thinking:

root@turris:~# ip -s l show eth2
4: eth2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 532
    link/ether d8:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast
    1882829102 1251151  0       0       0       0
    TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns
    35173932   633265   0       0       0       0

the same result with

?

root@turris:~# ip -s l show wan | ip -s l show wan6
Device "wan6" does not exist.
Device "wan" does not exist.

what is the output of ubus list network.interface.*?

root@turris:~# ubus list network.interface.*
network.interface.lan
network.interface.loopback
network.interface.wan
network.interface.wan6

Probably the same outcome but try:

• ip -s a sh wan | ip -s a sh wan6
  • ifconfig wan | ifconfig wan6

yes again not found.