No wifi in mox A with MIMO module

Progress of my case so far (I have cut down the messages):

Aug 29th: “The package arrived yesterday, I had some issues to open it as I didn’t want to damage the box. We were able to reproduce your issue, we looked at it and found out, what’s wrong. HW colleagues fixed it. …”

Sep 14th: " It should be shipped at the beginning of the next week. Once I receive a tracking number of your package, I will let you know."

No info since, so probably it didn’t get sent beginning of this week. Things are for sure moving slowly on Turris side. Maybe they have actually replaced my module A (instead of just sending fixed module back) since Aug 29th, as otherwise I don’t understand where it has been all these weeks.

But there is time left to 1 month limit.

And still no news about shipping my Mox back to me. The 30 days limit (mentioned on this thread) will be bypassed during this weekend, so “by the law” I really hope somebody will be working during weekend. Or should I just start to expect to never see my Mox again?

EDIT: The funny thing here is that I’m not actually in any hurry with return. The issue is all the broken promises, and now them again ignoring my emails.

This is the most frustrating part of this story…

And update again… My Mox arrived without any warning. So support team just didn’t want to send email telling it was send, or provide any tracking code to me again. Anyway, I got it back. No idea yet if it works.

2 Likes

@alump : did you manage to test your “new” Mox? Has the issue been fixed?

I seem to have a similar problem : only one WiFi card is detected where there should be 2 (I have modules A, B and E). After opening it, I did not see any unplugged cable or obvious problem.

I initially sent an email to the support on August 13, got no answer except a ticket number and a URL to track the progress. This URL is now broken, and redirects to https://www.turris.cz/en/support/

Anyway, I sent another email a few days ago, was asked to send some photos, and they now ask me to send the Mox to Prague, because they “have a suspicion”, and to “make it work again”.

1 Like

It for sure doesn’t work. But to know if it’s totally broken, can somebody tell what it means when all LEDs blink once a second (including LEDs in ethernet socket) right after I have plugged in the power. Is it hardware fault? I tried to plug out all the modules I could, but this didn’t change. Couldn’t find any documentation to tell what this means. “Rapid blinking” means hardware fault, but not sure if 1 blink/s is fast enough.

So now it is totally dead, why, I don’t know, as there is no documentation to help. And not sure if I even want to send email to support to ask about it, as I most likely just get ignored months by them. But maybe I have to try it anyway. This has become so massive waste of money and my time already.

EDIT: Made new a thread for this, as my issue is now totally silent Mox, and not just failed SDIO WiFi. All LEDs blink once a second right after connecting the power

How did you manage to get a ticket number from Turris. I have sent email to support 3 weeks ago, then reminders 2 and 1 week ago, but still have zero answer. Did you get an RMA number before sending your device back to Turris? I am quite frustrated that my 2.4Ghz isn’t working. I can understand that the team must be drowning in work. But waiting 3 weeks just to know if I need to send it back to them or not… feels a bit long really.

They had “proper” support website before, but then they shut it down (it started returning 403). So there are no real support tickets anymore, just emails as far as I know. But looks like they might break your device more, and even then don’t response to your communication, so be very careful before sending device to them for repairs. Right now it looks like they don’t even care about negative feedback here at their public forum. I would be really careful buying any new Turris router right now.

1 Like

The omnia is fine. All the hardware problems are with the mox

1 Like

@Pepe do you have an update on this issue?

Also @pepe, as you have been quoting EU laws here. I assume by the EU consumer law I should be eligible to be refunded . As you were not clearly able to repair or replace my device that I sent to you for warranty repairs.

@alump I’m not sure if indiegogo campaigns fall under “consumer law” honestly. I mean… the thing with these campaigns is that by definition you don’t get a finished device but something a little bit beta. I’m not upset about that at all. What I find highly regrettable however is the lack of feedback (no answers on email, not much feedback in the forum). It feels almost as if the Turris team doesn’t consider the people who participated in the campaign have the skills to help them fix the bugs. I’ve been working for a major router manufacturer (actually #2 worldwide) for more than 5 years, I know how difficult it is to make bug free hardware. And I also think I am skilled enough to give them valuable feedback on the crashes that I experience. I really don’t blame them that the device has bugs. But it’s very frustrating to not get answers. Quite disappointing, I agree.

1 Like

Yes, I know these being from indiegogo things can be used as excuse to not repair or replace devices. BUT… they broke my device on their service, and do not even response to my emails. I feel like they are responsible at least on that - no matter if it’s indiegogo campaign. So I way past complaining about issues on first batch devices, this has escalated to even worse already.

Hopefully you have your popcorn ready. It just got even worse. They have switched the Module A. How I know this… well look at this photo:

OLD: Alliance Memory as4c512mi6d3l (512Mb x 16 = 1GB)
NEW: SK HYNIX H5TC4G63CFR (256Mb x 16 = 512MB)

So they just not only sent me broken device, they also stole 512MB of my memory.

And I will try to communicate with their support team about this again, let’s see who they ignore me this time.

EDIT: I’m totally open to be corrected if my googling of datasheets went wrong.

Maybe stupid question: Did you look at LUCi:Status:Overview:Memory or free over ssh to confirm there is only 512MB of ram available?

I think you missed the earlier part… it doesn’t even start after their warranty “repairs”. I only get LED disco when i plug the power to it. So the only tools I have right now are the texts written to the top of the chips.

They must have made a logistics error and send you an early phase development board?

If it’s a mistake, it would only take few minutes to response to me on any of the channels I have tried to contact them (eg. email, here, indiegogo). I understand they have small team, but nobody having few minutes in a calendar week to response is just BS. They still have all the time in the world to tour around different events and promote their devices there (based on their social media).

Suppose that is part of the job and not clear whether it (detrimentally) impacts the customer service related to hardware issues without knowing the staff structure.

I mean the funds. They have money to do all that, but nothing is spared to support team anymore? Sure cz.nic is an “interest association”, so it’s little hard to know how their profits and expenses really go. And how people working with these projects get compensated.