AsiaRF AW7915-NP1 / 802.11ax / WiFi6

Ok, but there are still those numbers, so no problem.

yes correct, but its from eshop, where image looks like original diplexer, is labeled as " Turris Omnia diplexer", but anyway delivered is evidently different diplexer, where pigtails are vice versa.
I know it works, but looks strange.

Maybe it is just “updated” version and all new Omnias have the same diplexers. I haven´t checked mine new diplexers, which I bought for these new AX cards, but I think they will be the same as yours.

The only place where it is possible to buy these diplexers is Discomp and few CZ and SK e-shops which have them from the same manufacturer (my opinion). So, there is no “fake” diplexer, I think.

Yes, it works, i dont have a problem with that at all, is just confusing. Anyway, i did send an email to discomp, if it is like that and if there is a some reason to have it differently (i have no idea, why i would create opposite design of diplexer, at least from cost point of view it has no sense to change something that works properly). I can imagine, what you told, original diplexers delivered different vendor, then current diplexers are created by another company, even if sold under one label from same shop.

I think, they made som optimisation, and this new is cheaper, or it has to be changed due the lack of semiconductors etc.

1 Like

I ordered two times spare diplexers from Turris Team but think this is not possible anymore (because @Pepe set up this thread), and those were always the same as preinstalled in TO.

I am not good at giving deadlines or even schedules. :wink: But 6.0 will be soon merged to HBL still w/o support for Turris 1.x. It requires more digging up.
On the other hand, the community and we will have the opportunity to try new things, focusing on them, giving us feedback, fixing it, etc. We will have time to polish it and to ensure that the upgrade will be smooth for most users. But don’t worry, we will announce it.

1 Like

I would suggest to fix problem with not working wifi cards after switching to HBD before moving to HBL. :wink: Except this problem, everything went ok on my Omnia.

Installed …

7 Likes

Could you post the output of sensors after some time of usage?
My constellation is

root@turris:~# lspci
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88F6820 [Armada 385] ARM SoC (rev 04)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88F6820 [Armada 385] ARM SoC (rev 04)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88F6820 [Armada 385] ARM SoC (rev 04)
01:00.0 Unclassified device [0002]: MEDIATEK Corp. MT7915E 802.11ax PCI Express Wireless Network Adapter
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 802.11ac Wave 2 Wireless Network Adapter

I added a slidely oversized heatsink to the MT7915E and get the following values while normal usage situation (2-3 devices connected, no filetransfer running):

mt7915_phy0-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +61.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

ath10k_hwmon-pci-0200
temp1:        +64.0°C

So I believe in heavy usage scenarios (which I am right now to lazy to design and test) both might reach higher temperatures. So it would be wise to move one the 5G-card to slot 3. Let’s see if values drop significantly. Yet this is no option with a SSD installed to slot 1 (for my second TO I therefore bought an external housing for the SSD, aloy-block-heatsinks that are in touch with the TO housing and will install an additional fan on top of the TO housing to make sure temperatures stay cool).

So you actually replaced with old Atheros card in one slot probably for 2G band. My setup still consist of one primary Turris 1 that I use for all network connections due to following reasons:

1. TOS6 is not yet in stable branch
  2. I had not migrated all services and configurations yet. mainly LXC may need to update config but also plenty of other things will likely need to be reconfigured or newly configured due to different config files syntax (that’s what I suspect)
  3. Asiarf AX cards could not now broadcast 2 another SSID in 2g band as they can for 5g and I don’t know yet why. (I use 3 SSID’s for 1. regular network, 2. guest network, 3. TOR network) in 5g it worked out of the box in ax mode, for 2g it does not work in ax (had not tried ac yet)
  4. 5g ax signal level drops very rapidly and even speed is not yet as I expected even when ax notebook is nearby just few meters
  5. most iportatnly even though I have now 2 ax noteboox and 1 ax phone I still need to connect older ac devices notably ax phones tablets and notebooks that simply does not see the ax SSID on 2G ax network and even when they see 5G ax SSID it is impossible to coneect to ax network.

So for now I just done initial setup and made it running somhow but it will take some time to find best configuration setup and it will need more time. For now I did not even put the heatsinks on the cards as temperature is not an issue now for me.

1 Like

Exactly. For me high throughout is negligible compared to coverage but 2,4 GHz in 802.11g and 802.11n modes doesn’t offer MIMO. But the other issues you encountered with 2,4 GHz are unfortunately of concern in my eyes, so I will have to look into them.

Hm…
This might explain why I have connection issues in one room. As I planned one single ax-card for my allotment I’ll have to look into that later, thanks!
Btw - 802.11AC is for 5 GHz band only.
Did you have a look into syslog?

Those cards do not need the heatsink - even without it they report a critical limit of 110°C (which I believe could damage them already). But could you please do a temperature check before applying them and after the router has been running for a couple of hours? Would be nice to have comparison-data.

1 Like

I can confirm my observation that on 2g N mode or 5g AC mode 3 SSID are broadcasted but not in ax mode in 2g band. Which command to check the temperature ? I could try to make some test. I don’t think that temperature of 110°C could damage cards.

Temperature can be checked with sensors.
I used the wrong wording - it will not directly damage them. But with those temperatures normally capacitors and other parts start to wear out.

Do you have latest wifi drivers for your devices, especially notebooks?. One of mine did not see AX network, but after drivers update it can see it and it can connect to it even when the wifi card is max AC only.

My temperatures with heat sinks are:

mt7915_phy0-pci-0100
temp1:        +59.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)

mt7915_phy1-pci-0200
temp1:        +70.0°C  (high = +120.0°C, crit = +110.0°C)
1 Like

In my case (4 SSIDs on 2,4 GHz AX) the devices definitely see the SSIDs, but they can connect to only one of them.
So that would have nothing to do with client drivers, right?

For drivers I hope so. I exchanged wifi card in older laptop recently with AX210NGW and Intel driver download utility updated drivers to recent one. Seems heatsinks does not make much difference.

my temperatures with heatsinks

Hi, it is a bit off-topic but sensors doesn’t list any pci device. Device is TO2020 (5.3.3), I have 2 wifi adapters and 1 msata SSD.

lspci
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
00:03.0 PCI bridge: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 6820 (rev 04)
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA986x/988x 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

sensors 
mv88e6xxx102-mdio-2
Adapter: MDIO adapter
temp1:        +57.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

mv88e6xxx100-mdio-0

f1072004mdiomii01-mdio-1
temp1:        +41.0°C  (crit = +100.0°C)

mv88e6xxx103-mdio-3

mv88e6xxx101-mdio-1

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +71.8°C  

mv88e6xxx104-mdio-4

In case of ath10k (WLE900VX and WLE1216v5-20) you need to have ct-driver and firmware installed to get temperatures displayed.
But, yes, it is off topic…

2 Likes