Hi everyone, happy Monday
I know, this post could also go to a Wireguard/AVM/OpenWRT/… forum, but around here answers are usually most useful.
Upon being notified by Discomp s.r.o. (discomp.cz) about Turris Academy #4 I decided to evaluate the performance on my site-to-site Wireguard VPN.
What is working?
- I can access resources on the other site, pings work, transfers work
What is not working?
- Site A
- Wireguard runs on Turris Omnia
- Limited by upload to 15 MBit/s (indicated by red arrow in picture below)
- Site B
- The Wireguard VPN endpoints runs on a RaspberryPi 4 behind an AVM FritzBox 7490
- Limited by upload to 40 MBit/s (indicated by red arrow in picture below)
What is questionable / problem:
- Performance across the site-to-site Wireguard VPN
- From Site A to Site B transfers range around 10 MBit/s (only 66% of the line’s capacity) (I would expect approx. 12-14 MBit/s)
- From Site B to Site A transfers range around 18 MBit/s (only 45% of the line’s capacity) (I would expect approx. 30-35 MBit/s)
Analysis done so far:
- Both routers (Turris Omnia and AVM Fritz Box) are “bored”. There is no significant CPU usage when performing tests using
iperf(running on the Turris Omnia and the RaspberryPi)
- The RaspberryPi 4 is “bored” also, no significant impact on the CPU either.
- Speedtests (e.g. Ookla) confirm the lines’ capacity indicated by the green and red arrows.
- What my be reasons for the low performance?
- What should be evaluated to identify the bottleneck?
Thanks so much!