Wi-fi-less Omnia

Hello guys,

I’m quite new to this forum, but I think I went through a majority of the related forum posts already (not to mention the myriad of other websites I searched for this yet), but didn’t find an answer to my questions so far.

I have a question, or rather an ask for suggestion - my home network is currently equipped with and older Netgear WNR3500L router. I use it purely for the routing/natting function, the internet connectivity is delivered via a fiber (GPON) connection from my local ISP that lent me the “gateway” (a box that converts the fiber connection on one end to an ethernet port on the other end), it connects to the WAN port on my current Netgear router. The LAN comprises of a TP-Link switch and 2 Unify APs (I turned off the WLAN functionality on the Netgear router).

I’m looking now to enhance my home network by procuring a new router. I always liked the idea of the Turris project and the Omnia box looked ideal for my needs. However, the Omnia 2020 (and the 2022 version coming soon) are all equipped with Wi-fi cards and antennas that I don’t really need or plan on using (I have the Unify WLAN infrastructure at home already).

Is there any option to get an Omnia without the Wi-fi components? I’m afraid not officially, all of the offers I found are /w Wi-fi. If I would choose to stay within the Turris family, would the MOX solution bring similar functionality as the router in my home network? If yes, which modules should I plan to buy? Alternatively, is the SHIELD a way to go? I think not as it’s marketed purely as a security device to be placed between the router and the modem so I think I would still miss the router functionality.

Are there other options I miss completely now in my thought process? If yes, what would you recommend?

Thank you all for comments or suggestions. And apologies if I duplicated a thread that answered that already (I just didn’t find it - please direct me to it then :wink: ).

Andrzej

I think Shield does work as a router, but it won’t offer much flexibility (on SW side, too). I would probably choose MOX in your case (stArt + C or stArt + E).

1 Like

If you like get you hands a bit more dirty, you can just get a MOX A+D, then you can plugg the isp tranceiver straight in to the MOX D module sfp port.
Perhaps not fully supported by your isp but why have more devices than you need….

I have had my setup like that for some years.
I needed to get my own tranceiver though, as the tranceiver from the isp did not work properly in the mox.

Right now I still run the MOX but have a switch in front of it because the lack of sfp+ support on the mox (yes I know its ridiculous but I have a symetric 10G link to the internet)

Old setup

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions guys. It looks like the MOX might be the way to go in my case then (depending on the right modules combination).

@tac2 - I wanted to have my own router with the provider’s fiber terminated in my own SFP, however they do not offer an option like that, I guess they want to retain the PE (provider’s edge) under their own control.

After following up with different topics on this forum I might end up waiting for a bit more time since the Turris team gave me a bit of hope of releasing a stripped-down version of Omnia 2022 without Wi-fi next year, this would be ideal for my use case.

1 Like

My isp nid not offer that either. But as it happens there was a normal fiber sc connector when opening the box/switch/converter installed by the fiberoperator :blush:.

The ”box” is not the one in the picture, I just removed the the supplied tranceiver checked the data printed pn it an ordered a matching one (after I tried to get it work in the mox), and stuffed the switch/converter/box in a cupboard

Anywaygood luck with the tinkering

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.