Which mPCIe Slot for mSATA [Solved]

Command wifi detect outputs nothing. And after wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless i got empty /etc/config/wireless. What is wrong?

Solved:

It is not sufficient to rename /etc/config/wireless to /etc/config/wireless.old. File must be deleted ! The wifi script seems to have strange filename handling. :confused:

2 Likes

There are 2 possible options:
Option 1) a faulty drive or drive installation
Option 2) the module has its ID pin wrong

Option 1 takes the usual matters with replacement.
Option 2 requires a modified bootloader. You are not the first one that met this problem. At least my Kingston SSD does not work but works in a PC and in a USB case. My Crucial and Toshiba ones work fine.
The u-boot change may take a bit more time. It is hard to read bootloader variables before the board is fully initialized.

There is no guide and i did not update mine yet. I have another idea how to implement it without risking the bootloader. Updating the MCU (STM32) on the board is far simpler and seems less risky.

This is the relevant code part:

if (i2c_read(TURRIS_I2C_MCU_CHIP, TURRIS_I2C_MCU_ADDR_STATUS, 1, (uchar *)&mode, 2)) {
	puts("I2C read failed, default PEX\n");
            return turris_board_topology_config_pex;
    }
if (!(mode & TURRIS_I2C_MCU_CARDDET)) {
	puts("NONE\n");
}
    if (mode & TURRIS_I2C_MCU_SATA) {
	puts("SATA\n");
	return turris_board_topology_config_sata;
}
puts("PEX\n");

If we changed this to

puts("SATA override\n");
return turris_board_topology_config_sata;

we would be done for the moment but it will require changing the bootloader if you want to use a PCIe card later.

Adding a flag to the MCU code would allow us to check and change this from running TurrisOS. The board should in theory be able to run without the MCU fully working if something happens. And the MCU has a bootloader and is flashable from TurrisOS. Missing piece is the code for the MCU.

I just wanted to report that my Kingston mSATA SSDNow mS200 120GB is working without any modifications.

1 Like

Nice video but it did not work exactly as advertised. The screws holding the Wifi cards were stuck (the chinese guy who put them is strong…) (I almost destroyed the head of the screw, trying to rotate them.) I had to remove these screws from the under of the main card (not from above, as in the video).