Weird DSA switch issues. TOS 5.2.0 (HBK)

Hi, I have two Omnias. One is configured as router and second is dumb AP.

I have RJ-45 WAN interface on the router connected to ISP and a cat5 cable between Omnia (router) port 4 and Omnia (ap) WAN port (eth2). In this setup everything is working as expected. I can switch between networks and I always get IP instantly. Stay tuned.

So router has only LAN ports bridged and ap has all ports bridged. My weird issue is that it shouldn’t matter which lan port I choose in AP to get connectivity but weirdly only WAN port make the connection possible. My understanding is that like that it has to pass access point’s SoC.

Router:
omnia-net-router

AP:
omnia-net-ap

I will try to explain weirdness in this…

So when I try to connect to other port than WAN (eth2) on my AP. Lets say lan4 (so physically connected to eth0) I can connect to access points’ wifi and then switch to routers wifi but not back. So when I switch between wifi networks it works only one way. I think one of our forum members discovered a workaround to (I believe) the same issue here:

And when I add lan4.1 (vlan1 from the solution) to the ap bridge and I connect a cable to port4 lets say I do get IP when I switch between networks but then I am loosing some pings between router and ap via cable which is weird as well.

I suspect some bug in the DSA switch driver. It might be something related to CPU tagging/untagging and bridges themselves. I know we have to wait for the upstream OpenWRT to do some work ([OpenWrt Wiki] Roadmap and Release Goals for 21.02) but its clearly an issue when I would like to free up wan (eth2) on the ap and connect second ISP for example but still have one logical lan network.

I could post configs of the devices if someone is interested but its quite basic setup.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

EDIT: In short when AP is connected to port other than WAN (eth2) the router is offering DHCP lease but its somehow not forwarded to the AP’s wifi client.

2 Likes

So I’ve contacted turris team via gitlab and the issue is known to them.

Closing for now.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.