WAN on eth1 versus on eth2 in TOS4 Omnia?

According to https://doc.turris.cz/doc/_media/navody/nastaveni_vlan/network.png the WAN socket is hardwired to eth1, and in TOS3 it was like that. Whereas in TOS4 I see my WAN port assigned to eth2 and it works.

config interface 'wan'
          option ifname 'eth2'

Did labeling or something change?

And another thing is - I’m trying to understand the new internal switch config - /etc/config/network

• WAN = eth2 [why not lan5?]
  • LAN = lan0 lan1 lan2 … [why not eth0?]
  • VLAN = lan0.3 [why not eth0.3?]

Why it is referenced sometime as ethX… and othertime as lanX…?
How can the processor determine, when sending data to the switch via eth0, whether it will reach lan0 or lan1 etc.? I mean when I have

config interface 'probe'
	option proto 'static'
	option ifname 'lan4'
	option ipaddr '192.168.222.222'
	option netmask '255.255.255.252'
	option ip6assign '64'
	option ip6hint '88'

how can the processor route particular data only to LAN4 socket when there is no VLAN involved?

This will be because OpenWrt 18.06 is limited to Omnia.

The port layout/designation changed by OpenWrt in 18.06

ethX are CPU ports whilst lanX are switch ports.

There are various forum posts about OpenWrt 18.06 (TOS4.x) utilizing DSA for the switch configuration.

oh ok, I didn’t know it is called DSA and couldn’t find anything relevant. It would deserve decent documentation published on WIKI. Who would think it is all described in “TOS4 Beta 4” thread…

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. We added it to our new documentation, which we are preparing and will be based on MkDocs. Any changes about new documentation you can see in our Git repository. Nobody yet asked us why names of interface eth1 and eth2 interfaces were reversed. In Turris OS 4.x and upcoming releases it is as it should be due to fixes in vanilla kernel.