VOIP and IPTV VLANs on separate physical ports

Hi,

My ISP (Telia in Sweden) distributes Internet access, VOIP and IPTV using three different VLAN IDs: internet on 250, TV on 243 and telephony on 237.

I’ve spent the evening in the Luci UI, the Switch tab, trying to configure my Omnia so that VLAN 243, for television, is sent untagged out to my set top-box connected on LAN0. Without any success.

I started by adding a 243 as a new VLAN, removing LAN0 from the existing VLAN1 and adding it as untagged to VLAN243. It didn’t work, and after that I tried a whole lot of things until I manage to break internet connectivity all together and had to make a hard reset on the router.

So: To have VLAN243 on LAN0, VLAN237 on LAN1 and VLAN250 on the remain ports, how do I configure the router?

Thanks,
Anders

1 Like

From WAN side, create interfaces ETH1.250, ETH1.243, ETH1.237
Not sure about LAN side, but I guess if you create for example vlan 243 and vlan 237 (They could be actually random VID’s), assign them to desired LAN ports and bridge them together with corresponding WAN part, it should work.

No need to bridge Internet vlan (250), it should work out of the box.
Also you don’t need to configure that vlan on switch, default config will do.

Like this (eth1.243 entered as Custom interface)?

Yes, that should be correct.

At least I configured it this way, for Telia Estonia, only difference is, we have Internet Untagged and IPTV tagged as vlan 4 here.
Also they are not Layer 2, so I need both to have routed over CPU, which means I don’t need multiple vlan’s on LAN side :slight_smile:

What router did your ISP provide? Inteno?
(If yes, check under interfaces there, you can not change them, config is locked, but you would get the picture as it is modded OpenWRT too)

No Inteno. I have a Technicolor.

1 Like

Technicolor a.k.a Thomson…you must be indeed desperate… :scream:

Anyway, check this post, from @Ondrej_Caletka: IPTV Deutsche (German) Telekom with Vigor 130

As I wrote earlier, bridging those together should work :wink:

1 Like

By assigning them to desired LAN ports, you mean to set up VLAN in Luci on the Switch page, adding the LAN ports as untagged for each VLAN? Port 0 as untagged for VLAN243 and Port 1 as untagged for VLAN237, as one possible example? And, of course, removing Port 0 and Port 1 from VLAN1.

Should be so indeed, not sure though if you would still tag all of those to one of those CPU ports as well, but I think so or bridging would not work.

1 Like

Not just trying to get things to know, but I also want to know why I have to do certain things:

By adding eth1.243 as a virtual WAN interface, I’m telling Omnia to put all IP packages tagged as VLAN243 on its own “circuit” in the router.

And by bridging the virtual interface eth1.243 to one of the LAN ports, I tell Omni where that “circuit” should exit the router on the LAN side.

Does this bridged “circuit” bypass all firewall rules etc, meaning that the LAN port where VLAN243 exit also is exposed to whatever traffic is sent to me from the WAN side?

Correct – except for my non-expert terminology? :wink:

Bridging should mean that incoming packets are just directed straight to the output
port, no firewall involved.

But only for that particular LAN port, it is isolated from rest of the network.

And, since these two VLANs is for dedicated services provided by my ISP and not Internet traffic, it shouldn’t cause any trouble anyway?

Nope, untill you connect only those specific devices (STB, IP Phone) to those ports as they are isolated from rest of your network anyways.

I’m trying to get IPTV running, but can’t. This is what I’ve done so far.

Set up a VLAN with ID 243:

Creating eth1.243 as a virtual interface and bridge it with the new VLAN243, using virtual interface eth0.243:

When this is done, there is data transmitted on eth0.243, but none received:

My guess: This is the IPTV box sending DHCP request, without getting any ip-configuration in return.

In the configuration for the virtual interface created, I’ve tried to enter my IPTV box’ MAC address but that doesn’t change anything. But there are more fields to fill in. Could it be that Telia requires a certain Client ID or any other specific setting?

By default, the new virtual interface is not in a firewall-zone. But it shouldn’t be, since the interfaces are supposed to be bridged anyway?

Also strange, at least as far as my understanding goes: Looking a the ARP-table, the IPTV-box is at br-lan interface, not br-iptv which is what I would expect.

In the Switch configuration, what physical port is Port 6 linked to? WAN?

Any help appreciated!

It seems like vendor class should be TeliaSonera_VIP1113 for DHCP settings.

When starting the box, I get an error message saying it doesn’t get any multicast.

@thoresson Can I ask you how you set up TV and Phone physically? I am interested in setting up VOIP myself, but am totally new to the topic. I’d like to get an idea of what hardware I need besides the router. Currently my phone is attached to the cable modem. This is what my ISP provided me with. Would I need a new modem for my own setup? What phone are you using? How and where is the phone and TV attached?

Thanks!

I’ve not got things to work just yet. Once there is a solution, I’ll make sure it’s posted here.

1 Like

@thoresson Thank you for sharing.

In your bridge setup, you have bridged untagged port 6 with untagged port 4. That means you have to bridge together interfaces eth1.243 and eth2 – without any VLAN since the switch is configured to accept untagged traffic. Your IPTV STB should then be connected to the LAN4 port. Don’t forget to remove eth2 from lan interface.

So I should not do any changes within the Switch configuration? All is handled as Interface configuration?

Where do I remove eth2 from lan?

And, next step is to make a similar configuration for VoIP, where my ISP tag VoIP traffic with 237. As far as I understand, I can’t use the same solution. Port 6 is the only physical port on eth2, which I why I can bridge eth1.243 with eth2 without any Switch configuration?

Regarding the Switch configuration: What is the relationship between Port 0-6 in the software and the physical ports in hardware?

Yes, for simple cases like this, you can leave the switch configuration alone.

In LuCI under Interfaces → lan → Physical settings, uncheck eth2.

OK, in that case you will have to make the traffic between eth2 and internal switch tagged and deploy both VLANs on the switch. So in switch config, add a new vlan similar to the 243. Select different physical port to which your IP phone is connected to. This port should be untagged and present only in this one VLAN. Then, swhich port6 on both vlans 243 and 237 to tagged mode. The interfaces in the bridge will then be eth2.237 and eth2.243.

See the image (and the erratum) in this post. Simply port 0 - 4 are connected to the physical sockets, port 5 (nicknamed as CPU in LuCI) is connected to eth0 and port 6 is connected to eth2.