Very unstable WiFi

Yes. This was supposed to be run on client device, not Turris. Turris is in AP mode - I think you can’t have access point in power saving mode, it is the client that can save power if AP manages it correctly (see e.g. Wi-Fi every where: WLAN Power Save Modes). So if turning it off on client makes things much batter then the AP (=Turris) does something wrong.

In my case the client with problems is a thermostat. I cannot change settings.

I tried with my old router with DD-WRT, no problems at all.
It uses a broadcom chip.

Probably the ath9k driver has some bugs.

I also have my radio0 (5GHZ) dropping the whole interface sometimes.
The 2,4ghz interface keeps on working.

I didn’t touch my configuration the last week and suddenly it’s been happening the last few days. A reboot seems to solve the issue. I needed to reboot 2-3 times already today.
Maybe some automatic update causes the problem?

Never had the problem before.

Power management was already off for both wlan0 and wlan1 interfaces (tried to disable it on my TO’s wlan1).[quote=“white, post:78, topic:1698”]
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[0].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[1].disassoc_low_ack=0
uci commit
wifi
[/quote]

I can’t see any improvement, will leave it changed.

Nick87 ,

you might wish to give a try to the master nightly build. switching to that fixed my issues similar to yours (interface not returning, loss of wlan interface)

OK, there is something wrong with WiFi and Turris support. Could somebody from the makers come in here and comment?

I have a MacBook that connects primarily to the 5GHz WiFi and when it comes back from sleep it reconnects to the Wifi but cannot resolve DNS names or reach local IPs (like the Router interface).

Android phone on 2.4, and iPad and iPhone on 5GHz seem fine as well as a Windows machine. What is going on here?

See this in /var/log/messages

2017-01-03T00:00:52-05:00 info hostapd[]: wlan0: STA ab:cd:ef:gh:12:34 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
2017-01-03T00:04:35-05:00 info hostapd[]: wlan0: STA ab:cd:ef:gh:12:34 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)
2017-01-03T00:04:43-05:00 info hostapd[]: wlan1: STA ab:cd:ef:gh:12:34 IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to inactivity (timer DEAUTH/REMOVE)

Do I have to set some longer timeouts for something? How to solve this. Pretty annoying if the super duper awesome router works worse than the cheap white plastic box.

Remember not everyone knee deep into OpenWrt and the time or skill to murk around deep in things. Some users, like me, just want to have a working router that receives updates.

Thoughts?

Same here, @mackrauss. I posted somewhere in this thread (~ three days ago). At first I didn’t want to do it, but I now switched to the master branch to see how stable the wifi becomes. For now it looks like that no device connects to the 5GHz portion of the Omnia, but at least the half-availability of 5GHz wifi does not break anything.

By half-available I mean: the ESSID and signal strength can be seen with an app like inSSIDer, but no device ever successfully associates with the 5GHz card wlan0, they all go the wlan1/2,4GHz route.

… and here as well. I had to update to ‘master’ since with release 3.3 it was completely broken (currently running kernel 4.4.38-efe609c5e5f25db4116d69128330872c-1).

I configured separate SSIDs for the 2.4 (txpower 19) and 5ghz (txpower 17) cards to control to which card a client is connecting to.

Communication via the 2.4ghz band starts to stall as soon as I am going to saturate the connection. That is: no data anymore on IP-level, but the wifi-link doesn’t drop by itself on my Linux notebook. Reconnecting the notebook brings the connection back.

Before I split the SSIDs I got frequent disconnects from the hostapd side for clients on both cards as soon as there was any serious traffic.
Since the split, the 5ghz connection seems stable (tested up to ~500Mbit/s).

So, currently it seems that the AR9287 is the actual culprit.

My Turris Omnia is almost vanilla: the only thing I changed is adding a MSATA-SSD (for which I had to move the 11g card as shown in the video).

Do you have 2 separate SSD?

In devices that support 5Ghz, I don’t even configure the 2.4Ghz.

good idea, i have my wlans on separate SSID since the beginning. that might help too.

Didn’t have issues anymore the last 2 days, the only thing I changed is the channel on my 5GHZ network.
That couldn’t have been it as there were no other networks that could be interfering. (2,4ghz is a lot busier)

Strange

No, it is not strange. In 5 GHz there are only very few channels that are “DFS” free. Thus if there is any radar or something looking like a radar WLAN card’s firmware will silence itself and tries to find another channel so that it will not interfere radars. It can cause some minutes of silence from the WLAN card. If this happens frequently you should select another channel or, as a fall back, to channels that are not marked for DFS in your region.

Some good tips here. I have 5GHz and 2.4GHz on different SSIDs and will see if I can change the channel for the 5GHz WiFi since that is where i have the problems with my MacBook.

Any other thoughts why this might happen? If I switch to the other WiFi and right back it is fixed. Turning on/off also does the trick. So I can deal with it but it is annoying and sad for such an expensive WiFi Router.

No, I have two APs, the Omnia and a Ubiquity device. Both propagate the same SSID, on 5GHz and 2,4GHz each. inSSIDer sees the SSID on four channels, 1, 6, 36 and 44 - this should, in theory, enable clients to choose and roam.

this should, in theory, enable clients to choose and roam.

at least one of my hosts is constantly switching between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
But from what I’ve found, this may be because of the missing band steering in OpenWrt/LEDE, see #21521 (Enable options for band steering in Luci) – OpenWrt, resp. the FST section in https://w1.fi/cgit/hostap/plain/hostapd/hostapd.conf

I too notice Wifi problems!

I have configured the 5GHz and 2.4GHz with different SSIDs, and with the Turris Omnia I notice:

1. Poorer network range on both 2.4Ghz and 5GHz than with $30 Xiaomi Miwifi Mini which also has both, and I’ve checked the connections.
  2. Devices are constantly dropping off the wifi network.

Devices are constantly dropping off the wifi network.

Do you see that on both SSIDs or only on the 2.4Ghz or only on the 5Ghz?
In my case I have connection drops only on the 2.4Ghz card while the 5Ghz SSID is stable so far and also the transfer rates are good.

I have same problems on Turris 1.0. 5GHz working great so far but 2.4GHz external USB dongle even working perfectly till 31.12.2016 now conections from tablets drop even client is associated.

Turris team guy recommended me to contact their technical support directly at tech.support@turris.cz but I am lazy to do so.

Same problem here…