Using another router as an internet connection for a Turris Omnia

Last month I cancelled my contract with my ISP. I decided to get one of those neat little lte modems for my Omnia and a sim card. I don’t spend a lot of time in the house but I wanted to have a basic connection for my smart devices etc.

In trying to install this modem I found out that I need to have access to the internet to download the correct modules.

So I decided to share my phones connection to the Omnia over USB to get these modules. I found that I would also need to have access to the internet to download the modules to get internet from my phone!

I didn’t want to take out an 18 month contract for internet. So now I’m at a friend’s house who has a connection! Can anyone help me on getting the Omnia to use the internet connection from my friends router? I really don’t want to alter the settings on my friends router, just use it to download the correct modules to get the LTE modem working on the Omnia.

Solution:

1. With the Turris Omnia unplugged from the other router, connect computer to Turris Omnia using an ethernet cable.
  • Change drop down in “LAN mode” to “Computer”
  • Set “IPv4 protocol” drop down to “DHCP (automatic configuration)”
  • Set “DHCP hostname” to “Turris”
  1. Connect the Turris Omnia to the other router using a LAN port on each device.

This results in my Omnia showing up as “Turris” in my friend’s router. The Turris is able to reach the internet. I am able to connect to it and download packages.

1 Like

Great workaround. Good luck setting up your lte modem. If you have any problems just search the forum and if you dont find anything useful just start a new subject. And welcome to the Turris community!

1 Like

Thanks!

I may have made an error in purchasing a Quectel EC25-E. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.