USB disk already formatted with NTFS step by step guide wanted

I received my Turris Omnia yesterday and set it up without any major problems. During the update session it failed to connect to the internet, but after a while I got passed the initial setup screens.

I come from an Asus RT-AC68U that worked fine and had a fine user interface that I replaced with the Asus Merlin version. Built in was the possibility to share the USB drive as a Media Server and via Samba so the TV and our computers around the house (running Windows) all could easily show video/photos and easily backup files.

When connecting the USB drive to the Omnia router it was requesting to format the drive! I don’t want that. I want the same behaviour as on the Asus router.

Do you have a step by step guide to set up my USB NTFS drive so it can be seen by the TV as a Media server and a step by step guide to set it up so it can be used for backup/restore of files from our computers?

I find it very disappointing that it’s not provided right out of the box. Apart from that the router seems solid and performs well so far.

My personal opinion is that you want to avoid NTFS if the drive is to be connected (primarily) to a Linux-based system (e.g. Turris OS).

You will need ntfs-3g package for a read-write mount on Linux IIRC. I’m not aware about any guides or simplified ways, though there may be some.

Oh, silly me, I should’ve looked into docs before claiming the absence of guides: https://doc.turris.cz/doc/en/howto/nas?s[]=ntfs#setting_up_the_home_nas_with_an_ntfs_disk

1 Like

Okay thanks, but it was not the answer I was hoping for.

I’m no Linux expert. I would expect the web interface to be sufficient for layman to mount and share a simple USB drive. As it says in the specs. 2xUSB 3.0 and it talks about Freedom. Apparently you have to be a Linux expert to setup a USB drive share.

It’s not user friendly so I hope for some improvements here.

Thanks again. I’m on deep water with that guide. Looks way too complicated compared to the out of the box experience I had with my old Asus router.

As I said I hope for simplification and easy of use for USB drive shares. Most people have an NTFS drives and most people are on a Windows system.

OS on clients in the network has no relation to the filesystem used in a NAS. Typical easy setup is that you bring an empty drive, one-click create the NAS (using a different filesystem), and then you fill it through network (and then use it).

Yes, but in my case I have a lot of data already on the 4 TB drive that I want to access. Anyway I just decide to order a WD My Cloud home. https://www.wdc.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud-home.html

Then I don’t need to go through the pain of the USB drive.