USB 3.0 HW Device Capabilities

It appears there are some limitations as to the types of devices that we can plugin to the MOX A module with the software as distributed out of the box.

The only devices I have been able to get MOX A to recognize using this port are USB storage devices.

I have only attempted a few devices, specifically two different USB WiFi modules (one USB 2.0, one USB 3.0), and by attempting to tether my phone.

The MOX A module will not even recognize the device has been plugged in, no devices appear in the /dev/ tree when one is inserted.

Are there limitations as to the types of devices that can be plugged in to the USB 3.0 port?

What types of devices can be used?

OpenWrt is designed to be minimalistic as it targets embedded devices, which they have a small amount of space available. What you experienced is that you plugged to your device USB and the operating system doesn’t know what it should do with it. Because of that, there are not all packages installed by default as why the user A should have driver, which needs user B? We can not satisfy all users as each user can have a different capacity of microSD card and so on.

If you want to use any of your USB WiFi adapters, it would be good if you can mention their brand and type, so we or you can look at WikiDevi.com if they’re supported under GNU/Linux.
When they are then you need to find out if there is an available driver in OpenWrt. You can look at by using Google if anybody already tried it before you or you can try it on your own.

Basically, it all starts with:

opkg update
opkg install kmod-(something)

By looking at dmesg and lsusb -t, you can see if the USB flash drive has the driver which it needs.

Got it thanks, I went a little different route to setup WiFi since I’m using another small Linux SBC as a firewall and to convert my phone’s tethering capability to ethernet by just plugging it in and enabling tethering. I added a function to do the same for WLAN on it so I can just plug an Ether port into the MOX from the other SBC.