Updater notifications via Foris broken?

Ahoy,

I think there is still something wrong with updater notifications functionality - at least it cannot be set and be worknig from FORIS interface - not out of the box with initial configuration.

See I am using very simple setup with gmail account (/etc/config/user_notify):

config smtp 'smtp'
        option sender_name 'turris'
        option enable '1'
        option use_turris_smtp '0'
        option from 'gmail.sender@gmail.com'
        option server 'smtp.gmail.com'
        option password 'of_course_my_valid_password'
        option username 'sender@gmail.com'
        option security 'ssl'
        option port '465'
        list to 'recipient@recipientsmail.com'

config notifications 'notifications'
        option severity '3'
        option news '0'

config reboot 'reboot'
        option time '03:30'
        option delay '1'

When I use same settings for msmtp (/etc/msmtprc) I can send email without problems - so all the bits on the side of gmail accounts are set OK. Then I try “Send testing message” from FORIS and nothing happens, not even error message - all green, all cool, but no email whatsoever. What can be wrong then? How do I debug it? Can I get at least some error message somewhere to get at least slightest idea what is going on? BTW I just updated my Omnia to 3.10.1 Thank you

Do you have port 465 open? (assume yes if you can use it directly)
Is the testing message correctly put to “notifier” queue?
After hitting “send testing message” notifier should show something like :

$:/tmp# notifier
Working on message: 1528704590-8341
There is no message to send.

Sometimes it happened to me, that message was prepared, put to queue, but due (wrong format , syntax or missing " ’ …) it was not sent at all (sitting in queue for ages, blocking other notification to pass thru).

Hello and thank you for your reply.

To your questions:

• Connection to both 465 and 587 (for STARTLTS) of smtp.google.com is working (I checked handshake with telnet and openssl) so this isn’t where the trouble is probably.

• Yes, notifier messages show-up in FORIS queue and running notifier from router’s shell says:

$ notifier
Working on message: 1528734423-2867
Working on message: 1528734835-3941
Working on message: 1528734950-4330
There is no message to send.

also respective folders are created under /tmp/user_notify/ and they all contain files like this:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Jun 11 18:35 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 100 Jun 11 18:40 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 50 Jun 11 18:35 message
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 11 18:35 sent_by_email
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 5 Jun 11 18:35 severity

Do you think I could get this notifier or whatever service it is to get logging me some debug output somewhere? Thanks

You can put “set -x” into “/usr/bin/notifier” or/and (“create_notification”) to see what is happening when run manually /usr/bin/create_notification -s news my_test_messsage && /usr/bin/notifier