Turris OS 6.4.2 is now in the testing branch

Dear Turris users,

we just released Turris OS 6.4.2 to the testing branch with few updates.

:rocket: New Features
• Schnapps supports local:// URL for remote storage

:pushpin: Updates
• Linux kernel updated to 5.15.127 (MOX, Omnia) and 5.10.191 (Turris 1.x)
• Samba updated to 4.18.5

:bug: Bug Fixes
• gcc: passing correct build options on Turris 1.x
• nextcloud: add php8-pecl-sodium as dependency

4 Likes

MOX classic, HBK branch, .5 GB, 2x WiFi, simple config. All seems OK.

Uhh, trying to wrap my head around this… :slight_smile: What does the local scheme represent?

1 Like

We still need to merge documentation, but it represents remote target that is not remote :smiley:

Basically the idea behind is that you have for example external hard-drive connected to your Omnia and you want to be able to use schnapps sync command in cron to backup your snapshots to that drive in hopes that if your Omnia gets hit by lightning and dies, it wouldn’t take the external drive with it.

Hmm. I thought file:// scheme is generally used for this.

I can change it, but it specifies directory, so file feels somehow weird…

I never understood file scheme to have this limitation. The RFC on file scheme is unclear about it, as well as wikipedia…

Turris Omnia … updater error

inconsistent: Package nextcloud requires package php8-pecl-sodium that is not available."

2 Likes

@miska the ongoing support for TurrisOS 6 is quite great. In addition to that, would it be possible to also give some information about the current outlook on TurrisOS versions beyond 6, like what is planned for TurrisOS7 and maybe TurrisOS8, what OpenWrt bases will these be built, and what is the currently expected time frame for switching over to these versions?
While not a show stopper, TurrisOS still uses the iptables based firewall3 code while upstream already switched to nftables based firewall4, it would be nice if this difference between TOS and upstream OpenWrt could be resolved.

There will be Turris OS 7, but don’t have time estimate right now, we need to test the migration well and depends on number of issues we will encounter. In first version of Turris OS 7 (based on 22.03) we will be still using iptables as even some of the upstream packages are not migrated to nftables yet in 22.03. Turris OS 7 will be boring release, we plan to change as little as possible and do other big changes in subsequent 7.X releases. nftables switch may happen in one of those. Our goal is first to release Turris OS 7 and then start working on Turris OS 8 (based on 23.05), but there will be some 7.x release before that.

9 Likes

Thanks! This is a helpful update and exactly the information i was looking for. I especially like the plan of making 7.0.0 a boring release :wink:

That is great news you should pin that post!

Dear Turris users,

we just released a second rc of Turris OS 6.4.2 here is not a full changelog, but only what changed since the first rc.

:rocket: New Features
• Schnapps supports local remote storage (local:// or file://)
• php8-pecl-sodium package backported to better support Nextcloud

:pushpin: Updates

• Samba updated to version 4.18.6
• Knot Resolver updated to version 5.7.0

:bug: Bug Fixes

• webapps-tvheadend: fix dynamic config file generation

6 Likes

6.4.1 → 6.4.2 RC2 update ok (no new problems introduced), no unintended cable/wifi or internet downtime. Restart needed.

Turris Omnia 2017, 1 GB RAM, dead eMMC, system running from mSATA SSD, original wifi cards. Storage plugin enabled, LXC containers, tor relay, USB HDD shared over samba4 and minidlna, SQM, Hardwario gateway + MQTT IoT bridge, OpenVPN, PPtP VPN, morce.

1 Like