Turris OS 6.0 is now in HBT (Testing branch)

You could either get and run the migration scripts manually which are not merged yet: fix: Migrate Omnia LEDs names (!974) · Merge requests · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab Draft: fix: Migrate Turris1x LED names (!981) · Merge requests · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab or try removing the content of /etc/config/rainbow and let it be an empty file.

ping6 and ping4 are legacy symlinks that are disabled in OpenWrt 21.02 and newer by default and we are not overriding that default in Turris OS. I made a PR that will install iputils-ping for users that had iputils-ping6 installed, so that part should be fixed in TOS6.

It seems like this package was renamed in OpenWrt and is now called ddns-scripts-noip. Uninstall the old package and install this new one to fix this now. I submitted a PR that should fix this issue in TOS6: https://github.com/openwrt/packages/pull/19597

Wasn’t the move from HBK to HBS too hasty?

Turris OS 6.0 is currently in HBT, HBS still has Turris OS 5.4, so I am not sure what you mean. 6.0 will be moved to HBS soon when we fix a few more issues, some of which were reported in this thread by people who helped us test HBT with their specific setup.

1 Like

My mistake, I was gonna write HBT.

My update experience.

Turris Omnia 2017, 1 GB RAM, dead eMMC, system running from mSATA SSD, original wifi cards. Storage plugin enabled, LXC containers, tor relay, USB HDD shared over samba4 and minidlna, SQM, Hardwario gateway + MQTT IoT bridge, OpenVPN, PPtP VPN, VDSL WAN via PPtP with DDNS on no-ip com.

I did the update ssh’d from a notebook connected via wire.

Before update:

• I had to comment out ddns-scripts_no-ip_com and python-pip from /etc/updater/conf.d/opkg-auto.lua
    • The ddns scripts should get a migration to the renamed packages according to @mvasilek
    • python2 is gone, so goodbye pip2
  • to avoid memory issues, I manually stopped tor and pakon just before the update

During update:

• wifi was shut down quite early and did not appear again (I tried waiting for long)
  • reforis stopped working after some time
  • wired connection worked quite long; at some point ssh stopped updating, so I tried to reconnect (unplug/plug the wire), but the connection never went back up… nobody responded to my DHCP requests
  • however, both PPtP VPN and OpenVPN were reachable via mobile data, so I connected to the router via them
  • (via mobile connection) I received this updater failed notification (which should be color.sh: arithmetic error (#8) · Issues · Turris / rainbow-ng · GitLab)
rainbow/postinst: /usr/bin/rainbow: line 18: arithmetic syntax error
/usr/bin/rainbow: line 18: arithmetic syntax error
  • when I checked status of the router, I rebooted it (via VPN)

After first reboot:

• the router came up and both LAN and WAN connections were up and running, however, it seemed it could not route LAN to WAN
  • LXC containers started, but their networking was not functional (they could not ping the host system)
  • both wifi and wired connection worked
  • Sentinel shows firewall logs collection does not work
  • I decided to go with a second reboot
  • rainbow had problems, all LEDs blue

After second reboot:

• networking worked as expected (LAN<->WAN, LXC<->LAN, wired, wireless)
  • Sentinel still shows firewall logs collection does not work
  • rainbow had problems, all LEDs blue
  • Updater page in Reforis said there is one thing left to be done (remove fix-lighttpd-sync-with-upstream). I could not get it resolved via Reforis (clicked Update, then given approval, nothing happened). I resolved it by running pkgupdate via ssh.

What works after the update and two reboots without me touching a thing:

• samba
  • openvpn
  • pptp vpn
  • minidlna
  • networking
  • storage plugin
  • tor relay
  • LXC container

Breaking changes I had to fix:

• rewrite a few custom scripts to python3
  • thermal sensor armada_thermal-virtual-0 was renamed to f10e4078.thermal-virtual-0
  • mosquitto (my own instance) default config now by default listens only on loopback (previously I did not configure it anyhow and my LXC container could access it); when you specify to listen on the bridge, you also have to explicitly allow anonymous login
  • bigclown gateway (bcg) installed via pip3.7 did not (obviously) work… I exchanged it for opkg package bigclown-gateway, which needed re-doing config files as they have different names
  • client certificate of the router changed (both SSH host key and reforis HTTPS certificate) (I had to re-authorize the keys)
  • manually install ddns-scripts-noip; after that, Luci DDNS page looked somehow not really satisfying, so I had to reconfigure the DDNS updater again (not sure it that was actually needed, though)

I’ll try to go through the updater logs once I have a while to figure out what exactly has happened.

3 Likes

Since the upgrade, mysqld and consequently Nextcloud don’t work. Details are here.

MOX classic, HBK branch, .5 GB, 2x WiFi, simple config.

After latest update (Friday 14.10. afternoon - base-files/core etc) there were again a lot of warnings “Collision with existing path”, and, moreover, errors in /usr/libexec/rainbow/uci.sh:

Partial listing from pkgupdate

TurrisOS 6.0, Turris Mox

turris-version: 6.0
BRANCH: hbk

(pkgupdate)
INFO:Target Turris OS: 6.0
INFO:Queue upgrade of base-files/core/1456-6.0-r16688+127-fa9a932fdb[1456-6.0-r16688+126-fa9a932fdb]
INFO:Queue upgrade of kmod-mt76-core/core/5.15.73+2022-10-01-72b87836-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24[5.15.73+2022-08-26-5ec78e1e-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24]
INFO:Queue upgrade of kmod-mt76-connac/core/5.15.73+2022-10-01-72b87836-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24[5.15.73+2022-08-26-5ec78e1e-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24]
INFO:Queue upgrade of kmod-mt7615-common/core/5.15.73+2022-10-01-72b87836-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24[5.15.73+2022-08-26-5ec78e1e-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24]
INFO:Queue upgrade of kmod-mt7915e/core/5.15.73+2022-10-01-72b87836-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24[5.15.73+2022-08-26-5ec78e1e-4-68d5cb97f389f2b1d7c118599a176f24]
INFO:Queue upgrade of rainbow-animator/turrispackages/0.1.1-2[0.1.1-1]
INFO:Queue upgrade of rainbow/turrispackages/0.1.1-2[0.1.1-1]
Press return to continue, CTRL+C to abort

INFO:Running pre-install and pre-rm scripts and merging packages to root file system
WARN:Collision with existing path. Moving /etc/rc.button/reboot to /usr/share/updater/collided/etc/rc.button
=== a lot of simmlar lines ===

INFO:Running postinst of rainbow
/usr/libexec/rainbow/uci.sh: line 67: type: led_defaults: not found
Command failed: Not found

Otherwise it seems to work :wink:

As on TOS 6 you can use docker, I suggest to use docker containers for both mysql and nextcloud. In my case, I use docker for both a few months now without issues.

Dear Turris users,

Thanks for any valuable feedback you are giving us. It helps us to push the release forward. Mostly, it is positive ones, which we appreciate.

We understand there are some issues, which we need to work on and that’s why we are releasing Turris OS 6.0 RC2 today.

Release notes for RC2:

• This RC is finally also for Turris 1.x routers :tada: :tada:
    • There is one difference, it does not have kernel 5.15, but it has kernel 5.10
  • The whole complete network stack was updated to have fixed recently discovered Wi-Fi vulnerabilities while using MBSSID.
  • We prepared LEDs migration for Turris 1.x and Turris Omnia routers
  • Kernel updated to version 5.15.73
  • Python3 updated to version 3.9.14.

We will be working on the case when there are some missing or renamed packages and despite the weekend ahead, please let us know about any feedback or bugs, you might find. We will release another RC soon.

3 Likes

Here are my test results, HBT:

-----------------------------------------------------
 TurrisOS 5.4.4, Turris Omnia
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@shulyaka:~# pkgupdate
INFO:Target Turris OS: 6.0
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
ERROR:
inconsistent: Requested package wireguard that is not available.

wireguard is now in the kernel and the wireguard meta-package was removed, installing kmod-wireguard and wireguard-tools should fix it. Thanks for reporting this, I will add it to the list of renames so people won’t encounter this.

Omnia - latest HBT update(time 21:18) screwed my 5GHz WiFi 6, 2,4GHz WiFi 6 was OK.
Again, as in HBK it was update to kernel 5.15.73… Rollback to previous update, with kernel 5.15.72, helped. I have disabled automatic updates for now…

1 Like

Wow, auto updates on hbk? You’re a brave guy :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Yes, I installed kmod-wireguard and wireguard-tools, then removed wireguard, kmod-crypto-iv, and mariadb-server-plugin-auth-socket, then it worked.

Same results on my MOX with a similar setup.

Will update remove wireguard and install kmod-wireguard and wireguard-tools automatically or not? I am confused. Otherwise I will end up without vpn and if wifi also screwed then will require manual intervention which I am not very fan. I need smooth update.
This is my main workhorse router(omnia 2020) and I dont have any tolerance for an outage.

This is HBT, if you absolutely need a stable system, you should stay at HBS. It will currently not remove wireguard, but the update will fail if you have the wireguard package installed and you will have to resolve this manually. When this is fixed, the updater should remove wireguard and install kmod-wireguard and wireguard-tools instead. wireguard was only an empty meta-package that had these two dependencies. I think that everything should keep working because wireguard is a kernel module and it won’t be affected by the update until the first reboot at which point you will start using the new wireguard packages and they should hopefully work too.

I don’t know much about the WiFi issue, so I can’t say anything about that.

Thanks, yes I am still staying on HBS, so before reboot it is better to check wireguard etc.

If you are on HBS, this shouldn’t be an issue for you and it should be fixed by the time Turris OS 6.0 hits HBS (wireguard will be properly upgraded, won’t block an update and won’t get uninstalled).

1 Like