Turris OS 6.0.0 is coming to HBK

Which part, the part where I update to TOS6 or the part where I only do so when I can immediately test and counter-act any potential fall-out? :wink:
My configuration is rather pedestrian so I think I have a decent chance of side-stepping a number of issues by simply not exercising that functionality :wink: But letā€™s see how this will work.

Viktor, I thought you knew almost everything happening inside the Turris team and that you have some more internal details that we donā€™t have. Based on that, you would know that according to our WORKFLOW, which we have, yes, thatā€™s the only way.

Once the release reaches HBK, we can release only whatā€™s on HBK (since then, it is copied to the testing and stable), and in the past, it was not another way around, then yes. Once Turris OS 6.0 is released, then the support for the previous version is terminated.

And hopefully, others will forgive me, but your recent posts here do not sound very nice, and I have some hunch that you want to annoy us more than we are already, but despite that, you might want to continue and then there will not be any Turris anymore. Maybe thatā€™s what your efforts are.

We know that we are two versions behind on OpenWrt, and we are fully aware of that. We are also running an unsupported OpenWrt version, for now, yes, thatā€™s the reality. What you probably already know is that some people have already left. They told us some nice things or shared what they were doing on social media (mostly Twitter) and what you can expect in future releases. Two more people are leaving at the end of this month, and we are quite short-handed. What we are getting is only more work since no new people are hired and because of that, the development is going to be slower than you are used to even all these things are happening, I do care about Turris and commit almost every day, and it does not matter if it is a work day or not. Guess what? Who prepared for you a new version of Turris OS 5.4.4 yesterday (on Sunday), because there is some critical CVE across DNS resolvers, and we are a secure router which provides updates, right? And then Iā€™m reading your posts and wondering why I am doing that in my free timeā€¦

9 Likes

Thank you for your honesty, which I appreciate very much. Just because I know something doesnā€™t mean I canā€™t ask it. Something that may seem uncomfortable at first may actually be a help.

So why canā€™t other people be hired?

Maybe I could contribute more in my free time than just testing developer branches? Anyway I love Turris project and visiting forum and gitlab almost every day. I could do that voluntarily. What functions do you need to cover? I am no programmer but I have some experience with GIT for example.

EDIT: Or maybe I will start with writing community documentation or translation

1 Like

@Pepe we all appreciate all your effort. It is obvious that you could not develop software withou right people and also community.

I think we all here love our community and what you doing for us and that piece of hardware you created.

We also understand that without try and error we could not progress and as further development in master sometimes bring also new issues together with new funcionalities.

I personally see this project also as a way for my personal development of my linux knowledge.

Needless to say sometimes it is frustrating when that piece of hardware stop to behave as expected. It leads me personally some times into state when I did not know what to do to make it work again and then this forum and google is source of help even sometimes not. Then I have to find my answers myself which in turn leads to knowledge growing.

But anyway we follow closely your work and wish you could find the right people to your team as I think it is really worth what you created already for all of us and the community if you look back.

Bit off topic I wanted to ask if you sometimes go to pub together as Turris team as I think it could be cool to meet with your team in person as I already know some members. It does not have to be official but I guess it could be valuable experience for your team and also us, users.

6 Likes

Why are you asking me? Ask someone who is responsible for hiring new people. I donā€™t need to do otherā€™s work. :slight_smile: I can say that if you are interested in working at CZ.NIC and as well for Turris, just check open positions and try to apply there.

Yes, we were doing that when Karel and Vojta was working with us as there were many opportunites. These days, not so much.

No problem with delay, as to me :wink: But, unfortunately, there are some errors trying to update (MOX, TurrisOS 5.4.4, branch: hbk)

root@MOXjp:~# pkgupdate
INFO:Target Turris OS: 6.0
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
line not found
ERROR:
inconsistent: Requested package kmod-dsa-mv88e6xxx that is not available.

You are faster than we are to announce it! :slight_smile: Be patient on this one.

• Branch movement is not finished yet.
    We moved HBL into HBK, but donā€™t keep it complicated. Letā€™s say that there are three stages (Updater Lists, medkits, build).
    The Updater Lists are compiled as first and usually, it does not take more than a few minutes, quite independent of the actual build, but if the lists require some package, which was not built and the build does not finish, yet then the package is not available. So, letā€™s say that after 4-5 hours, it should be alright.
  • We need to move HBD to HBL and put into HBD OpenWrt master.
1 Like

Nema problema! I just tried update to seeā€¦ Iā€™m in no hurry :wink:

Thank you for the announcement, and when will be the right time for

switch-branch hbk

if I want to stay with TOS 6.0?

Yes, we will move TOS 7.0 (based on OpenWrt 22.03) to hbl in a minute, so if you stayed on hbl, your next update would update you to TOS 7.0.

//edit: Thanks @AreYouLoco fixed!

I am sure you meant that you will move TOS 7.0 to HBL not HBK.

1 Like

Thank you. When do you expect TOS 6.0 to be moved to hbt and hbs? What is the safest way to stable TOS 6.0? Disabled automatic updates?

Ok, Turris OS 6.0 for Turris Omnia is now in HBK. Shortly Turris MOX will come.
Thus, letā€™s continue discussion here: Turris OS 6.0.0 is available in HBK

When, it reaches the stable branch as there is no such thing as having stable Turris OS 6.0.

Based on our workflow or trying the testing branches, it is too early to ask for that. We do have some rough estimates, but nothing what we can share. When Turris OS 6.0 will be in HBT, we will announce it in on forum as usual.

1 Like

Closing in favor Turris OS 6.0.0 is available in HBK