Turris OS 5.4.5 (MOX only)

Also upgraded my MOX Power WiFi to TOS 6 and I’m without the second WiFi and also had serious problems with reForis initial setup.

Tldr:
Today I had a bit of free time, so I approved upgrade of my MOX Power WiFi (Indiegogo edition). It didn’t go well. As usual in the last couple years, I had to be present in person for the stuck reboot. But this time the boot didn’t really go well, I ended up doing btrfs rollback. It somehow worked the second time, with the usual power cycle. I haven’t even noticed that there was a major release. Seeing my LED was blinking and it didn’t want to get turned off, I finally decided to use the firmware flashing that might fix the Post-Upgrade reboot issue and doing a fresh install, using the flashing from internet reset mode. What a lucky timing to do this? :slight_smile:

So here are some issues I was facing with the reForis initial setup after the flashing:

• having Power WiFi edition, I have only one RJ45 port, meaning after the initial setup done through local cable connection I need to move the eth0 interface from lan to wan. This doesn’t work with reForis.
  • having WiFi set up (not noticing just yet that the second WiFi won’t work at all) I set out to move the eth0 iface from lan to wan and was simply unable to do so - in reForis the WiFi devices are not detected as part of lan (although in Luci they are) so reForis doesn’t allow the move, as there needs to be at least one iface in the lan group
  • I ended up tinkering in Luci but that was not enough, the eth0 was shown BOTH in lan and wan, hence a conflict and the interface didn’t want to come up. No way of tinkering in Luci fixed this.
  • the actual last attempt fix was to remove one line in /etc/config/network, finally having my internet back after a reboot (at least those work for now)!

Now having the basics set up I stared finetuning my configuration (enabling collectd, etc.), only to find out my second WiFi configured on 2.4 GHz is not up. No matter what tinkering I have been doing, I couldn’t get it back up. And then I started looking at the forums to find out what a lucky timing did I have…

Is there any prognosis when the second WiFi might be working on the MOXes with TOS 6?

Is there a way to easily downgrade to 5.4.5 via internet flashing?

P.S.: the screwup on my side might have been that I have had about 4-5 updates pending as I was not in the vicinity of this MOX and therefore I was postponing the upgrade, ultimately missing the incremental update for the router to identify as MOX to avoid prematurely getting the TOS 6 push.

Unfortunately we encountered yet another issue. We found a problem in Turris MOX SDIO Wi-Fi card drivers that makes it unusable on 2.4GHz. We could postpone the release once more and delay it even further till we solved that (we are in communication with the chip vendor trying to solve the issue). But after all the delays that we already had, we decided to go forward with 6.0 nevertheless and just temporally freeze Turris MOXes with SDIO on 5.4 till we solve this issue. This way we can achieve both - majority of our users would get new OS with new features but at the same time we wouldn’t break existing setups with SDIO.

How do I check if this affects my Turris Mox? I noticed I have TurrisOS 6.0 now and my 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi seems to not be working (which is quite annoying, as it effectively means all my IoT devices are offline as many of them don’t support 5Ghz). So I’m suspecting I might be affected and the code that was supposed to move me to the 5.4.5 branch might not have triggered correctly.

Is it safe to use the Snapshots feature to roll back to a snapshot to hopefully get my 2.4 Ghz network back?

Edit: was unsure which snapshot to use but went with snapshot “Snapshot created by cron” in the 5.4.4 times and my 2.4Ghz network is back:

So most likely my system is indeed affected and the scripts didn’t correctly migrate me to 5.4.5.

1 Like

Hello. I have Turris Mox. I’m having a similar problem after updating to TOS 6.0 as others (second WiFi not working, ti shows an errors posted by “commar”). I tried to format the SD card and install TOS from recovery mode 6: From internet. After enabled second WiFi in reForis, the error appears.

Regarding to stuck reboot. The last time I set up a Turris mox from scratch, the reset worked reliably until I set a static IP address in LuCi. Since then, Turris Mox has been stuck on reboot.

Rollback to version 5.4.4, disable updates and wait for a fix.

Where can I download MOX v5.4.5 (or v5.4.4) medkit? The medkit available for download is already TOS v6 (I found that out after already being done with flashing :frowning: ). I need to rollback and I was hoping I won’t have to build it from source.

https://repo.turris.cz/archive/5.4.4/medkit/

Thanks! I just found it myself :slight_smile:

My Turris Mox SDIO WI-Fi didn’t work after automatic upgrade to TOS6. After rollback to TOS5.4.5 everything is fine, set the Update Settings to “Update approval needed” got notification for 674 Updates have to confirm.
I can’t set to automatic updates.
How do I know which updates are relevant for TOS5.4.5?
Will Turris Mox SDIO WI-Fi users be somehow informed about security relevant updates?

I’ve had only approved updates enabled since two or so years as for both my MOXes (one Indiegogo PowerWifi and one retail Classic) the post-upgrade reboot hangs and I need to be present for the power cycle.

As long as you’re really on 5.4.5, you should not be prompted with the 6.x upgrade, as it is postponed for MOXes with SDIO cards. For me the problem was that I had several upgrades pending and the blocking of the 6.x is only delivered by 5.4.5 (because it technically changes to hbs-sdio TOS branch).

After reflashing with 5.4.4 medkit from USB I managed to upgrade to 5.4.5 and so far I’m not prompted with 6.x upgrade. The upgrade to 5.4.5 required a bit of tinkering. Happy to write it up in case anybody is interested.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 19 days. New replies are no longer allowed.