Turris OS 5.3 is released!

Dear Turris community,

We would like to inform you that after releasing three RC versions and more than two weeks in the public testing to let you know that we released Turris OS 5.3 to all of you.

What’s has been changed or added?

• New features in reForis
    Added MAC address to WAN page, added IPv6 DHCP clients table, fixed test connection results for screen readers

• Sentinel improvements
    New tab in reForis for Sentinel Overview, a new version of minipots, replaced nikola with fwlogs

• reForis and Foris now starts on demand
    This could save some RAM on devices, which have 512 MB RAM as after a few minutes of inactivity in that UI, they will shut down by themselves.

• New modules in Diagnostics
    Based on the feedback, which we received from our support department, we added new diagnostics modules for (re)Foris, Sentinel, HaaS.

• Updated packages
    Nextcloud, Knot Resolver, syslog-ng, BIND …

For more details about it, you can check Czech or English (will be done tomorrow) article on CZ.NIC blog.

As usual, your router will be updated automatically from Turris OS 5.2.6 or older, but we always recommend updating from the latest previous version. If you are using approvals or delayed updates, don’t forget to check it in reForis to apply this update.

We would appreciate your voices regarding new features, which we developed for you. If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate and reach our technical support.

7 Likes

After updating to OS 5.3 (original system 5.2.7) the router (Turris 1.1) is unusable. The whole system is lagging. After rebooting and unplugging the router the same condition. There are large communication failures (ping).

1 Like

Back to OS 5.2.7. Everything seems OK.

I am using Turris 1.1 on the recent version daily, and I don’t experience such issues. Can you send diagnostics to our technical support department, so we can take a look at what is “lagging” in your case?

1 Like

Successful update, I haven’t noticed any issues. Thank you all for your effort.

Device: Turris Omnia 2020

3 Likes

I’m already back on OS 5.2.7. Everything works OK here. I don’t have time for testing at the moment, I need the router to work 100%. I will try the update again later.

I want to help you more, but since you are not able to provide more details right now, I’m not able to help you without more details.

RC version was for more than two weeks in the testing branch, and no one reported such behavior on support or even on the forum.

In the meantime, you should check your microSD card if it is ok. Feel free to reach our technical suport department anytime.

Since the Update, foris and the backup option is gone. Is there any way to get foris working?

Omnia rebooted while update without inquiry - seems like crash. Is that normal precedure?

Indeed, Foris was removed in this update unless there are dependencies that depend on it, like Pakon or Nextcloud. These days, we focus on reForis (redesigned Foris), which is a modern, intuitive user interface for our routers. It can also be an advantage because when Foris and reForis were installed side by side, they ran simultaneously and consumed the hardware resources (most likely RAM), so now you should have more RAM available. Some tabs in Foris were deprecated, and we are no longer developing Foris.

Foris is not entirely removed. It is available to install it using our feeds. In the upcoming Turris OS 6.0 based on OpenWrt 21.02, we will farewell Foris once for all.

For backups, you might want to consider using Schnapps.

2 Likes

Thanks for your great work and the great support.

1 Like

Hi,
After the update to 5.3.0, my lxc containers didnt start. Looking at logs lxc-start reported that it couldnt find anything inside /srv/lxc, and indeed /srv/ is empty except for the logs and .lighttpd-tmp folders?

Did the update format my external drive?

Edit i found something potentially fishy:

root@turris:/srv# df -h .
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda                 50.0M     64.0K     49.9M   0% /srv
root@turris:/srv# lsblk
NAME         MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda            8:0    0  1.8T  0 disk /srv

Shouldn’t the size reported by df -h . be the size of the disk i.e. 1.8T? That’s what it does on my pc

1 Like

¨Po aktualizaci je nedostupný internet. Celkově nepoužitelné. K-O. Pomohl až rolback na předchozí verzi. Turris 1.x

MOX classic, WiFi, .5 GB, simple config, update to 5.3 from 5.2.7 (HBS branch) OK (didn’t wake up after sw reboot via CLI, after power off/on woke). All seems to work.

Update went smooth but in section „Data Collection“ of section „Sentinel“ when I want to save my settings for the License Agreement a red banner on top of the page says „Unknown API error“.
Also when I choose section „Region & Time“ in section „Administration“ nothing is shown except an unknown API error that occured.

I am on a blue Omnia with 1GB and internal SSD.

Greetings, Michi

Nápodobně u Omnie. U mě zabral až x-tý restart. Poté jsem znovu spustil aktualizace a dotáhnul se zbytek. Omnie neodpovídala ani na web přístup (terminál jsem nestihl otestovat, když to nakonec naskočilo).

Turris Omnia, upgrade from 5.2.7 to 5.3.0. No issues observed. Thanks for the update! :grinning:

1 Like

I have the same issue and I’ve been troubleshooting this for ages. Wish I’d checked here sooner!

In my case I was planning to wipe the LXC containers I had and replace them, but I can’t get my Omnia to mount the drive. At all, even if I try reformatting.

I can see the drive and UUID in reForis but interacting with them does nothing. In LuCI the drive does not appear. Previously it was visible in both reForis and LuCI.

Any tips on how to troubleshoot this further are appreciated.

looks the same here, the /dev/sda mount is just 50 MB
/dev/sda on reForis is the drive we have, in luci I guess we see what is actually happening
luci mounts

I also need to update my post. I’ve already figured out the guilty party. If I leave my external drive plugged in, the Omnia doesn’t boot at all (all the LEDs are lit). If I unplug it, the router boots up. When the disk is plugged in, it tries to boot, but from the sound, I would say the platters can’t spin up. Thus it looks like the disk has gone (same behavior in ntb with Linux and PC with Windows, the disk does not load). However, the router’s behavior caught me quite by surprise. So currently I just wrote off my movie collection, which doesn’t bother me that much. But it’s a strange coincidence.