Turris OS 5.3 is in HBT (Testing) branch!

Dear Turris users,

We have been working on new features, which we prepared for you, for free, of course. It’s time to introduce them in a new version of Turris OS 5.3, which you can now find in the testing branch!

What’s new?

• Sentinel improvements
    New tab in reForis for Sentinel Overview, a new version of minipots, replaced nikola with fwlogs
  • reForis and Foris now starts on demand
    This could save some RAM on devices, which have 512 MB RAM as after a few minutes of inactivity in that UI, they will shut down by themselves.
  • New features in reForis
    Added MAC address to WAN page, added IPv6 DHCP clients table, fixed test connection results for screen readers
  • New modules in Diagnostics
    Based on the feedback, which we received from our support department, we added new diagnostics modules for (re)Foris, Sentinel, HaaS.
  • Updated packages
    Nextcloud, Knot Resolver, …

How you can test it?

In our documentation, you can find article, which describes how you can test future releases of Turris OS, how you can switch, and how you can switch back.

Don’t forget one thing. Once you switch to one branch, you need to switch branch back or stay there manually. That’s up to you.

Where you can provide a feedback?

There any many ways. How you can provide us feedback about this release or let us know about any regression, which you found.

1. Let us know in this thread
  2. Reach our support department
  3. Report bugs in our GitLab (if related to our Turris routers) or in upstream repositories.

Reference: Issues - Turris Documentation

9 Likes

reForis and Foris on demand, top feature. Switched to Omnia. All smooth.

Update ended up well, but I had to give two approvals for some reason (updated from 5.2.7 HBT). After restart, the update was still a bit unconfigured (e.g. Sentinel showed it’s not working), but visiting the Updates page in reforis triggered finishing the configuration and all works well now.

Guest wifi got disabled during the update (though I don’t use it much, so it might have been disabled for a longer time).

The no-ip DDNS update failure is still present (exec format error when running the postinst script).

Also, I suggest renaming the Sentinel tab in reforis to Dynamic firewall. I guess much more people know about the advertised Dynamic firewall feature than about its particular implementation Sentinel.

I saw several instances of this error, but it doesn’t seem to affect the outcome of the update:

2021-10-20 02:02:02 notice procd[]: /etc/rc.d/S85updater-journal-recover: INFO:Running postinst of reforis-snapshots-plugin
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]: Traceback (most recent call last):
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/bin/foris-forwarder", line 11, in <module>
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:     load_entry_point('foris-forwarder==0.2.0', 'console_scripts', 'foris-forwarder')()
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/foris_forwarder/__main__.py", line 111, in main
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/foris_forwarder/app.py", line 45, in __call__
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/foris_forwarder/app.py", line 76, in __init__
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/foris_forwarder/configuration.py", line 157, in __init__
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/foris_forwarder/configuration.py", line 170, in load_from_uci
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]:   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/euci/__init__.py", line 90, in get
2021-10-20 02:02:06 err foris-forwarder[28362]: uci.UciExceptionNotFound

I no longer can create a new LXC container. Old containers work. I am using linuxcontainers repo since turris repo is out of luck now.

root@omnia:~# lxc-create -t download -n containername
Setting up the GPG keyring
Downloading the image index
ERROR: Invalid signature for /srv/lxc/containername/tmp.CAiLha/index.asc
lxc-create: containername: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1617 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: containername: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 327 Failed to create container containername

Can you reproduce it?

EDIT: It works now.

This was reported to OpenWrt packages feed as it should be:

Thanks, but this is not going to happen. There isn’t just Dynamic firewall, but other things like firewall logs, minipots, survey, etc.

It seems to be harmless, but thanks for pointing it out. We will take a look.

We released 2nd RC version of Turris OS 5.3.

Package update:

• bind to version 9.16.21
  • fixed compilation of uboot-(env)tools

Fixed:

• languages for reForis
  • post install script for shield-support package

I know about that. I just wanted to pinpoint it so that other users do not need to dig whether it’s already been fixed upstream or not.

At 16:51 (GMT+1), we released another RC version. Hopefully, the last one before this release will be released to all of our users.

You might wonder what’s new.

• Added fix for migration before it is triggered to everyone from Turris OS 3.x.
  • Updated syslog-ng and bind.
2 Likes

The final RC was released two days ago. Also, Turris OS 5.3 was in the HBT (Testing) branch for more than two weeks. We will release it soon to the stable branch. We want to thank anyone who tested this release with new features and shared the feedback with us. :slight_smile:

I’m closing this thread.

5 Likes