Turris OS 5.3.3 Authentication password bug

I’ve noticed that SSH authentication is broken: if you have a password you actually can add extra characters to your password ant you still will be able to connect to your system.

In ex:
your root password to turris root account is: ab123
you can login using password variations:
ab123
ab123111
ab123!!!

Hmmm. Are you sure? It does not work for me. Security issues or even bug reports should be reported through our support channels. We need more details - logs/outputs, etc.

No, this is not correct.
I can not reproduce
I also tried with the wonderful pw ab123

EDIT: os version 5.3.3
21 char pw and above 5char test did not log me in via ssh

my password is aplhanumeric 10 char string with upper and lower cases and digits. I can add extra chars at the end and it’s still allows mi to login.

Update:
Ok, after resetting password case no longer exists.

That’s still not very helpful. Are you using the OpenSSH server? If yes, which version? Are we talking about which router? Did you modify anyhow OpenSSH server configuration? Which client are you using to connect to Turris? Where did you configure your password? I think I am able to have more questions, if you want.

I suggest going through this documentation:

I tried it on a few other Turris routers all in different versions and I am not able to reproduce it. I wonder if this is still not caused by misconfiguration. That could happen, too. It is not unusual that administrators with root access can shoot themselves to the leg.

Right now, your bug report here on forum seems to be honest like false alert.

Can you remember what you did before to get that strange bypass to work?
Or perhaps you should communicate that to support and not here in the open……

1 Like

Turris omnia. It was on Turris Os 1.x. Today at the evenning i’ve discovered my router has been updated (?) To 5.x.
This case was happened when i’ve made a mistake during connecting to ssh. I just made a mistake with password and used a bit longer variant. Then I realized it’s not proper variant of password. After some anomalies (unexpected firmware upgarde) i connected to my router using several variants of this passord, with pattern
GOODPASSWORD
GOODPASSWORDWITHADDITIONALS
etc.

Is it possible to verify firmware against being compromised? Or you think this is just case of obsolete firmware updated several major versions up?
After password update problem dissapeared.

I haven’t updated firmware a some time, because it was bring some risk of loosing configuration. (version 1.x to 3.x) and suddenly some reboots of router happened and i realised now i have much newer version.

Are you sure you have an Omnia and was running TOS1.x ?
If I’m not misstaken Omnia routers first version was 3.x, not 100% sure though.

please do not run any EOL software, especially not on a internet facing device. And surely not if you are concerned about any kind of compromise
TOS1.x was EOL 2015 according to documentation

@tac2 sorry, i’m extremely exhausted (and overworked). Yes, you are right it was 3.x OS

1 Like

I wonder if you could be logging into a honeypot instead, by some kind of “mistake”.

5 Likes