Turris OS 5.0.2 is out!

Dear Turris users,

We pushed a new version of Turris OS 5.0.2 from HBT (Testing) :turtle: branch into HBS (Stable) :snail: branch. It means that the release is out there for all the Turris routers and if you are using the previous version of Turris OS 5.0.1, you will be automatically updated to this release. If you are using Approvals, you will receive the notification about it.

What’s new?
This time, this is a bugfix release with some improvements. There are node packages for Turris Omnia and Turris MOX router, which was missing in Turris OS 5.0.1 release. For the owners of the Turris 1.x router (the blue one), we were able to look to a bug in the OpenSSL library. This means if you were using any DNS servers from the provided list, you will be using DNS over TLS by default and there is working OpenVPN. Don’t forget that Turris 1.x is still experimentally supported. Also, there are improvements for the migration from the Turris OS 3.x.

Developer changelog:

OpenWrt feed:

• ca-certificates: updated to version 20200601
  • uclient: updated to 2020-06-17

Packages feed:

• haveged: updated to version 1.9.12
  • transmission: updated to version 3.0 and add notification when it is disabled, so you need to configure it first
  • umpdcli: updated to version 1.4.6

Turris feed:

• netmetr: updated to version 1.5.5
  • knot-resolver: set root.key (DNSSEC key) as read-only
  • nghttp2: backported an update to compile node packages
  • backported build fixes to compile LuCI packages
  • fixes for experimental migration from Turris OS 3.x for advanced users

Any feedback regarding this release is appreciated.

4 Likes

List of known bugs:

Since Turris OS 3.x release:
This time, there was no any ddns-package update, so you don’t need to worry about, but if you came from earlier versions of Turris OS, be careful!

Since Turris OS 4.x release:

• In some cases, Turris MOX is not correctly rebooted.
  • MOX SDIO Guest networking might not be supported, yet. This is going to be fixed in upcoming fixup releases.
  • You can not have installed ttyd and mosquitto at the same time. This is an upstream issue and it was reported to them. See https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/11632

Since Turris OS 5.0 release:

• Some Knot DNS packages can not be installed. This is going to be fixed with minor versions of Turris OS.
  • Package syslog-ng does not start if you have disabled interface for IPv6. We ruled out that this does not have anything to do with the hostname of your router.
  • Package v4l-utils was not compiled.
1 Like

Got it already. It seemed to cause my Omnia to reboot in the middle of the day though and that is not ideal. Is there any way to make it happen in the middle of the night?

The updates go every 4 hours. If you need more control over them, switch to update approvals.

Unfortunately the update overwrote my customised /etc/banner. Can this be prevented in future please?

Can anyone that had the WiFi issues w/ 5.0.1 confirm that they don’t seem them in 5.0.2 now?

After upgrading I see this error when trying to use LuCI:

/usr/lib/lua/luci/dispatcher.lua:426: /etc/config/luci seems to be corrupt, unable to find section 'main'

Running pkgupdate over ssh shows only this:
# pkgupdate
INFO:Target Turris OS: 5.0.2
WARN:Package wpad is in cyclic dependency. It might fail its post-install script.
WARN:Package hostapd is in cyclic dependency. It might fail its post-install script.

Did you upgrade from Turris OS 4.x? Which model of the router have such issue? Did you try to reboot it?

No, this was an upgrade from 5.0.0. It’s a Turris Mox.
It was rebooted after the upgrade but I have not rebooted again yet.

Did you install any Python[2] packages? What’s the output of ls - la /usr/bin | grep python ? In any case, forum is not a good place for debugging issues like this one. It makes thread a really long. Can you please send an e-mail and follow our documentation for Getting help?

Did you install any Python[2] packages? What’s the output of ls - la /usr/bin | grep python ? In any case, forum is not a good place for debugging issues like this one. It makes thread a really long. Can you please send an e-mail and follow our documentation for Getting help?

~#  ls -la /usr/bin | grep python
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            16 Jun  3 02:57 python -> /usr/bin/python3
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root             9 Jun  7 04:51 python3 -> python3.7
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          4099 Jun  3 02:57 python3.7

Sure, can change to e-mail.

I have an original Turris Omnia.
I did the optional migration from v3.11.17 to v5.0.2 HBK and then switched to v5.0.2 HBS.
I noticed that Resolver/Kresd is restarting every few minutes, sometimes multiple times in a minutes.
I submitted a ticket and the logs to tech support, but I don’t know if anyone is having this issue.
I removed all custom configurations, and disabled Adblock already.
What other task will restart resolver?

I’m not aware of any others.

@mnd999 In this update, I am not aware of any unwanted reboot of the router. There wasn’t any kernel update, which will require a reboot of the router to apply changes. This should be part of the next release.

However, In this update, there were some restarts of the services itself like Knot Resolver, but services stopped and started immediately.

This situation happens when you are modifying the file, which you shouldn’t. This file is part of base-files package. It means that if you do any changes to files, which are not marked as a configuration file, they will be overwritten by an update of the package and that update may be or not be caused by us. Because many packages come from OpenWrt as they are, it will be most likely caused by OpenWrt developers and its contributors including us. The same will happens to you if you would be using vanilla OpenWrt.

There is no simple way how to preserve it.

I presume the /etc/ssh/sshd_config OpenSSH config file is not touched on upgrade?

Adding:

Banner None

solves my particular issue and allows me to cat other information in my .profile