Turris OS 4.0 beta1 is released!

Dear busy and appreciated developers and contributors for the Turris Omnia OS Software,

Thanks for spending your time and effort!

I just installed the 4beta and would like to share some impressions:

• Reconnect IPv6
    The bug about reconnecting IPv6 is not solved. Host can not use IPv6 after temp outage of upstream router. Reproducible.
    IPv4 is working as expected.

• WAN setup step
    Minor issue: a misleading announcement about a disconnected WAN cable (not true, not helpful). Occurs during guided setup tour at WAN topic. Not reproducible at 2nd device.

• DNS config 1
    An ongoing major design issue (in Foris at least) is to force the user to use a small “choice” of DNS Servers. I do not want to use any of these servers! No thanks! Most of them belong to intelligence and surveillance organisations. Some of them do not even comply with European law. Disagree! I want to use none of these as DNS! I need a trustworthy one that knows at least DNSSEC, DNS-over-TLS and IPv6. My personal preference is German Digitalcourage. Choice of DNS Server should be up to the user.
    I strongly suggest to offer (in Foris) an option to use a server of choice (both, IPv6 and old)!

• DNS config 2
    In Foris there is a very important check-mark for „forwarding“?! Description is incomprehensible. In German and in English the description is really bad in 1 point:

• What does it exactly mean NOT to check the box? What does it exactly mean to CHECK the box?
    • PLEASE describe, who is forwarding what to whom! Is this about Transparent DNS proxies?
    • What exactly is enabled, disabled? Who is getting what request forwarded? What leg of routing DNS is meant?
    • Is this the same in v6 like in v4?
      I strongly suggest to explain, what the „Weiterleitung benutzen“ / „Use forwarding“ really does. The description is insufficient now.
  • config persistence
    In 3.11 and in 4beta I sometimes lose one config if I change another. In both versions „Storage“ was gone after changing something different. Currently I have no details at hand.

You have proven to do a brilliant job. Turris Omnia is great, no worries.
I’d like to ask you please to consider fixing these issues.

Best regards, Dietmar

My setup:

Devices
requesting router:
a) Turris Omnia - rtrom01, update: 4beta1 (no longer: OS 3.11.4), config mostly default ; routing and firewall: factory;
b) temp: Turris 2G using OS4beta1, config is default
delegating router (upstream): Fritz 7430, FRITZ!OS 07.01
Layout: like in RFC 3633 page 3
ISP: v6 native Hansenet provides Prefix Delegation + v4 Telefonica

PS: I described the hassle about DNS in general here:
(German only)
https://www.schweinekraftland.de/DNS_sicherer_machen/sicherer%20surfen%20und%20mailen%20mit%20gesichertem%20DNS.html

1 Like