Turris Omnia outdoor use

I installed the Turris Omnia for my parents house with LTE-card, because otherwise there is only a very bad copper cable available.
I did some speedtests/signal tests and the best would be to mount it outdoors on the balcony.
It`s under the roof and a power source would be available.

Did someone install the router outside?
Are there some temperature ratings for the hardware?
Does it need some insulated case to stay alive during winter (max. -20°C during the nights)?

Thank you!

Better would be just to take LTE antenna outside and leave Omnia inside

1 Like

The official specs don’t accomodate temperatures below zero: https://www.turris.com/en/omnia/specifications/

2 Likes

But as long as it will be constantly running, I think it’s not likely it would freeze (the CPU usually reaches about 60-90 °C). But I’d be very careful about moisture. As AreYouLoco suggests, the optimal way would be buying an antenna extender and using that with Omnia residing inside the house.

1 Like

I have tested it outside but inside a metal electrical pillar (box).
All work well except of the Lte sim card which stops below zero. Not the sim itself or the modem just the sim card holder. Maybe you could buy a minipcie adapter with sim card slot with industrial grade temp specs.
All the other parts work even at minus 7 degrees Celsius outside temperature that I have seen so far (latest case one month ago).
Also you need to consider adding surge protection if the cables are longer than 10m.

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies and details.

Antenna-Extension would be great, but my parents don`t want to drill an additional hole for that…

I think I will go for an insulated box then with the power supply inside.
Could take some time to finish it, but I will add some pictures here then.