Turris MOX - Debian as main OS

Has anyone experienced how to install Debian as a primary OS on Turris MOX. I do not mean Debian in the LXC container.

Turris MOX has one advantage, MicroSD card slot, so it could simply change the OS as needed by simply replacing the MicroSD card.

Any help or instruction how to achieve it would be very welcome.

I don’t expect these Omnia scripts will work on MOX without modification. It’s even a different architecture.

I have some confusion in the architecture. It is sometimes referred to as aarch64 or arm64. What does that apply?

Which OS should I use to test this script?

Different places use different names. Debian uses arm64 for it; they also use amd64 for the most common arch (i.e. another name that’s not so popular elsewhere anymore).

I’m trying to use these scripts, but I’m struggling with this error. So far, I have not changed anything, just testing the functionality of my build environment.

script ./create-kernel.sh

HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
  HOSTCC  scripts/sortextable
  HOSTCC  scripts/extract-cert
scripts/extract-cert.c:21:10: fatal error: openssl/bio.h: No such file or directory
 #include <openssl/bio.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
scripts/Makefile.host:91: recipe for target 'scripts/extract-cert' failed
make[2]: *** [scripts/extract-cert] Error 1
Makefile:545: recipe for target 'scripts' failed
make[1]: *** [scripts] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/data/mox/turris-debian/linux'
debian/ruleset/targets/common.mk:295: recipe for target 'debian/stamp/build/kernel' failed
make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 2

Ignore those scripts. They are intended to bootstrap Debian for Turris Omnia not Mox. For Turris Omnia it has to compile additional tools and primarily kernel. For Mox it should be for basic functionality enough to use upstream kernel. It uses u-boot and it contains distro-boot environment so it can chainboot bootloader such as syslinux (https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/doc/README.distro). Turris MOX also has device tree in flash on board so you do not have to worry about that either.

Another options is to use u-boot directly and boot your distribution that way.

We have plans to create documentation on how to boot standard ditribution (probably specific one such as OpenSUSE) but currently we are occupied with Turris OS and MOX in general.

In general Mox is same as any aarch64 processor board and so if you have experience on how to boot system on those then you should not have any trouble.

If you are using UART then note that you need 1.8V serial convertor on MOX. Using 5V is going to end up in smoke…

What about ARMBIAN build for MOX? https://www.armbian.com/

sry op, no support here.

i just noticed some mox-commits in the repo and thought it might be relevant.