Weird things happen, my result/lessons learned is - do not use Turris 1.0 or Mox as an iperf server nor (definitely not) client.
Being frustrated from all the tests, I’ve replaced RJ45 connectors one by one… and end up with:
- even on 1m long factory made Cat5e cable (including connectors), maximum throughput was 246Mbps (Turris as a client, notebook as an iperf server)
- even on 1m long factory made Cat5e cable, maximum throughput was 272Mbps (Turris as an Iperf server, notebook as an iperf client)
- Omnia (20m Cat5e cable) as client, Turris 1.0 as server 612Mbps
- Turris 1.0 as a client (20m Cat5e cable), Omina as an iperf server 241Mbps
On the other hand when I used two notebooks, one connected using the above factory made 1m Cat5E cable to Turris 1.0 and second one was after 20m Cate5E cable a switch a another 15m of Cat5E cable, the network throughput was 855/905Mbps (changing client/server notebook roles).
Same tests (20m cable, switch) between a notebook and Omnia I’ve got 941/934Mbps.
The sad part of this testing is that Turris MOX is far from being as good as Omnia router, because
Mox an Iperf server and Omnia as an Iperf client (swicth 20m of cable) looks promising 919Mbps, while Omnia as an Iperf server to Mox an Iperf client I’ve got only 310Mbps.
Pakon was de-instaled on all the used routers, Iperf2 was used for tests.
Part of the issue was probably caused by a bad RJ45 connector (since after replacing them, I was able to reach expected network throughputs) and long time used Pakon might contribute to the speed degradation as well since I haven’t installed it after replacing cable connectors and some improvement was achieved even before cable tests just by de-installing Pakon.
Turris 1.0 and MOX are not good devices to run iperf for any tests, but the switch chip in Turris 1.0 is capable to handle 1Gbps.