Turris as OpenVPN server & Ubuntu as client - no route

Hello! Please help with routing - I have a Turris Omnia (OS version: 3.8.5), trying to build OpenVPN tunnel. So the steps I’ve made: OPENVPN->Server configuration: Configuration enabled=true, OpenVPN network=192.168.3.0/24, all traffic through vpn=false, Use DNS from vpn=false This is config:

config openvpn 'server_turris’
option enabled '1’
option port '1194’
option proto 'udp’
option dev 'tun_turris’
option ca '/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/ca.crt’
option crl_verify '/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/ca.crl’
option cert '/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/01.crt’
option key '/etc/ssl/ca/openvpn/01.key’
option dh '/etc/dhparam/dh-default.pem’
option server '192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0’
option ifconfig_pool_persist '/tmp/ipp.txt’
option duplicate_cn '0’
option keepalive '10 120’
option comp_lzo 'yes’
option persist_key '1’
option persist_tun '1’
option status '/tmp/openvpn-status.log’
option verb '3’
option mute '20’
list push ‘route 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0’

Then I started to create OpenVPN client (Ubuntu 16.04). This is virtual machine with 2 network interfaces, wan & lan (gateway). LAN is 192.168.5.0/24, wan is a real IP. I’ve created client config using Turris web-interface. So config looks like:

client
dev tun_turris
proto udp
remote Turris_real_IP 1194
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
mute-replay-warnings

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Certificate:
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----

remote-cert-tls server
comp-lzo
verb 3

Tunnel is OK, I see tun-interfaces on Turris and on my virtual client. But no ping between machines behind client and server. For example, 192.168.5.5->OpenVPN client<–>Turris server->192.168.1.75. So I’m trying to ping from 192.168.5.5 to 192.168.1.75 - 100% packet loss. All the same in reverse direction - no ping. How to fix it? Thank you.

Do you have firewall configured? You are trying to do cross network access. You have allowed routing between those two zones. Try to just ping address from openvpn ip adress range instead.

Situation is:
192.168.5.5-<–>Ubuntu client (192.168.5.10, real IP) <-----> Turris (real IP, 192.168.1.10) <–> 192.168.1.75

192.168.5.5 and 192.168.1.75 - Windows clients - each from networks I’m trying to connect between. So I can ping only from Ubuntu client to 192.168.1.75. If I try to ping from Turris to 192.168.5.5 - no answer. Firewall is enabled but tunnel exists. What will you advice in my case? Thank you.

This is openvpn not ipsec. All ip translations are hidden and basically if you have vpn interface then you have connection to server. What you seems to me not understand is that vpn is its own network subnet. In our case it’s 192.168.3.0/24. So both ends of your vpn tunnel gets one of that ip address from that range. So before you try to ping any other subnet that can be blocked by firewall (because that is how default firewall works) you should try to ping router it self and from router conputer over vpn. That tells you that vpn works. Everything else is then network setup. If you want to have access from vpn network to internal network then you have to have it configured in firewal as in default those are two different zones and even if you have route on vpn host you also have to have that routing allowed on turris in firewall. My last suggestion is use traceroute to see where your connection ends up. This can help you distinguish if problem is in routing or in firewall and even where that problem might be.

I found the problem :slight_smile: Just changed firewall policy: rule “forward” changed from “reject” to “accept” and all is OK now.