Transmission daemon troubleshoot [Turris 3.8.1]

1. Just updated to Turris OS 3.8.1 In 3.8.0 the Transmission daemon would start but the transmission-web package was not available, resulting in an error displayed in the browser when connecting to the web UI. The package was restored in 3.8.1. So I installed the transmission-web package manually in LuCI.
  • Should transmission-web not be pre-installed?
  1. Now, when configuring Transmission to run as nobody or as transmission I’m unable to connect to the web interface, the external disk does spin up though. I have not found any logs from transmission.
    Running it as root it works fine and I’m able to use the web UI. Surely we’re not supposed to run a P2P application as `root?!
  • What is the correct user to run this daemon?
  1. Port forwarding to Transmission is not working by default even though the config checkbox “Port forwarding enabled” is checked. In an older thread the solution was to manually configure the firewall, even if UPnP is enabled. There is also the option to randomize the incoming port, this would of course not work with manual port forwarding.
  • Is manual port forwarding currently the only way to receive incoming connections or is it supposed to work out of the box?

No. Because that is not only way to access transmission. You can also use remote transmission client.

I have it as transmission and I tested it and yes transmission-web doesn’t work (unathorized user). We are not mantaining this package directly, openwrt comunity does. If I have some time on my hands (which is not expected) then I will look in to it.

This does something different than you are expecting it to do. This tries to use nat-pmp or upnp on upstream router. This means that it opens ports on remote device not local one. Local one is expected to be configured correctly. So no. This doesn’t adds forwarding rule to iptables. You have to do that manually.