Support/Patch for Sierra Wireless EM7565

Hello,

is it possible to add this two patches?
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10105755/
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg163567.html

I have a internet connection via MBIM, but i can not send any AT-Commands, because i dont have a ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 for the AT-Interface.

thanks!

Hello,

as a user of EM7565 module, I would appreciate adding those patches too.

Best regards,
Andy

How, hardware wise, do you get the Sierra EM7565 to work with the Turris Omnia? Correct me if I am wrong, but the EM7565 is a M.2 device, and I don’t see any M.2 slots of the Turris Omnia? Also, what do you do about the SIM card?

Buy a M2 to MiniPCIe adapter and put it on the free miniPCIe slot with ist over the SIM slot. Set the EM7565 in windows to the right modus (QMI or MBIM), config the LTE-Band witch want to use. Now turn the EM7565 in turris omnia and connect to the network.

I use MBIM to connect to my LTE network, and it is working great. With some changes in the mbim.sh the modul is working great. I also set up a connection checker - this script is pinging 3 diffrent ips. If all 3 IPs says “ping timeout” it will make an automatic usb-reset of the device, because mbim has somtimes problems with an reconnect.

Thanks for this information. So are you talking about one of the M2 to MiniPCIe adapter’s that has a SIM slot built into the adapter? Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-NGFF-B-Key-to-Mini-PCI-E-Converter-Adapter-Card-Module-SIM-Card-Slot-for-PC/132440974844?hash=item1ed618e5fc:g:6N4AAOSwkLhaRNEc

If this is the case, I guess that means I can use the EM7565 with any device that has a Mini-PCIe right? Before I was looking for boards the M.2 that had a SIM slot, and that was a very hard thing to find.

There are quite a few boards out there with minipci-e and a sim slot. What would happen if I used the adapter in a minipci-e slot that already had a SIM on it? Could you use it in either one, or would it flat out not work?

you dont need the SIM slot, SIM card slot has the Turris Omnia. This one should be work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-NGFF-Key-E-to-Mini-PCI-E-with-USB2-0-Adapter-WIFI-Bluetooth-4-0/271924395874?epid=1639981617&hash=item3f4ff4ff62:g:eSMAAOSwMmBVnO3K

the EM7565 is connected via USB to the turris omnia. You can configure it.

I dont know, what happen, if you use a board with a sim card slot. I think you can use this one, or the other one in turris omnia. My board dont has a sim slot - and it work great.

Hello,
we ordered Sierra EM7565 for testing and I’ll let you know, if there is something new about it.
Currently we added patch for it, which is currently in nightly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Pepe,

great to hear and many thanks for your efforts!

thank you for your support :slight_smile:

We (users of lteforum.at) found a way to get the AT-Interface in turris (MBIM mode), without the kernel patch. But its only a workaround. So great to hear you added the patch.

It’s included in Turris OS version 3.9.4, which we released yesterday.
Please try it and let me know if it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Router got update in this night. Disabled our workaround before updating.

Log shows me:

[ 17.041103] cdc_mbim 1-1:1.12: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 17.046750] cdc_mbim 1-1:1.12 wwan0: register ‘cdc_mbim’ at usb-f1058000.usb-1, CDC MBIM, c6:7a:0c:25:c5:b8
[ 17.056621] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_mbim
[ 17.063976] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[ 17.069627] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[ 17.077494] usbcore: registered new interface driver qcserial
[ 17.083302] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Qualcomm USB modem
[ 17.090491] qcserial 1-1:1.0: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
[ 17.096891] usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 17.103993] qcserial 1-1:1.3: Qualcomm USB modem converter detected
[ 17.110422] usb 1-1: Qualcomm USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1

AT interface working!

ati
Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model: EM7565
Revision: SWI9X50C_01.00.02.00 6ff48a jenkins 2017/09/29 05:54:26

Thank you again for your support :slight_smile:

1 Like

could i have a look at your connection checking script, Im using an MC7455 in a zbt router in a dmz which supply’ wan to my omnia, but the cellular connection drops randomly.

Hi,

I am considering buying this modem. @Sin10 are you still using it?
I am trying to find a good offer for the modem and minipcie adapter.
For the modem I found one.

But for the adapter… Is the adapter a ‘key E adapter’ that I need? I am confused with all this M.2 standards.

Yes i still using it. And it works great :wink:

The internal M2 cards has one big problem => only supports USB 2.0 … If your Download speeds over ~300 mbit, USB 2 is too low for it.

Adapter: You need a Adapter that supports 3G / 4G modems (Key B). If you have another key (like ssd), this is not working.

300Mbit is way more than I have with current setup :frowning:

But according to product specs: Dimensions: 42 x 30 x 2.3 mm [Type 3042]
And this site… https://www.delock.de/infothek/M.2/M.2_e.html …says 3042 is key A.

Still confused. But will trust more an user that is already using it on Omnia.

sry i got a mistake, you need like this one:

i have this one, without a SIM slot.
The M2 keys are little crazy, i have also problems with it :smiley: