[Solved] Turris Omnia and Deutsche Telekom All-IP

This entry has two purposes:
To help others when they encounter the same problem
To propose an extension to the Turris Omnia web interface

1. Problem and Solution
    Yesterday, my old phone line (Germany: ISDN + ADSL+) was changed to an All-IP-line. After the change, my modem (Allnet ALL0333CJ) showed a green LED for “DSL ok”, Ethernet to the Omnia was ok, but I had no connection. Checking “/var/log/messages”, I found lines about a “PADO timeout” and retries about once per minute.
    Need I say that Telekom customer service had no clue? They tried to shift the blame to me and declared the Omnia as “incompatible” (which I strongly doubted).
    Checking the internet, my son discovered reports of a VLAN tag 7 added by Telekom and also a way to set that in the Omnia. This is the patch:
    diff -ur original/etc/config/network fixed/etc/config/network
    — original/etc/config/network 2019-05-07 11:37:15.000000000 +0200
    +++ fixed/etc/config/network 2019-09-12 20:17:33.000000000 +0200
    @@ -19,7 +19,7 @@
    option ipaddr ‘192.168.0.1’

config interface ‘wan’

•   option ifname 'eth1'

•   option ifname 'eth1.7'
        option username '00-my-long-personal-digit-string-here-0001@t-online.de'
        option password '2-more-digits-4'
        option proto 'pppoe'

2. Turris Omnia web interface
    I did not find a way to display or set VLAN tags on the Omnia’s ethernet ports.
    Given that Deutsche Telekom enforces their use, I propose such a way should be added.

This can be set in Luci → Network → Interfaces → WAN. There you can set protocol (e.g. pppoe). Under „Physical settings“ you can set vlan (e.g. eth1.7)

sadly this works only on the 3.x.x tree of TurrisOS. I tried on 4.0.1, but it does not worked.

Did you notice that WAN port changed from eth1 to eth2 in Turris OS 4?

you mean the port which is named “WAN” is now eth2 ? Which logic follows this?

Yes, as of TOS4.x (OpenWrt 18.06.x)

It seems arbitrary set by OpenWrt for the board[1]

[1] git.openwrt.org Git - openwrt/openwrt.git/blob - target/linux/mvebu/base-files/etc/board.d/02_network

1 Like

Hey,
I just had to configure my Omnia for FTTH (GPON) by Telekom. The modem itself comes from Telekom. It works with the same instructions. Make sure you put all the three numbers + @t-online.de into your username… and tag you WAN interface (eth2 in my case) with .7. Worked:)

1 Like

Alternatively Telekom allows (configurable in the Kundencenter website) something I think they call “easy login” which, once activated (and it might be activated by default) will allow any username and password combination (including empty, if your router allows that). This works as they have some element early on in the path inject the line-ID so they know which contract customer sits at the other end. This however only works for direkt Telekom customers, for resellers like 1&1, VF or O2 the PPPoE realm is important and hence username and password are mandatory.

Also even with Easy Login, it is mandatory to use VLAN7, for Telekom and its resellers.

1 Like