(solved) Direct WAN connection fast but slow with ANY router connected

I’m having a super weird issue with my home network and am out of ideas of how this could even be happening. The other day my network download speed started being so slow that it’s barely usable while upload speed is fine (see Detail – NetMetr). My setup is as follows: Cable modem → patch cable → router. Now if I connect a laptop to the modem directly, I get 70Mbps down. But as soon as I connect a router (and by “a router” I mean either my Turris Omnia or Archer C2 v2 with Gargoyle), I only get like 0.5Mbps, no matter if I use 5GHz, 2.4GHz or a LAN port (with WIFI physically disabled on the router). I did factory reset the cable modem, factory reset the Turris Omnia, reinstalled Gargoyle on the Archer C7 (tried two different versions without preserving settings), etc. Tried different pach cables and ports as well as different devices connected to the router. Disabled/enabled flow control and autoneg for the WAN port as well without results. No matter what I do or which router I connect to the modem, every time the connection passes through one, download is becoming so slow that it’s pretty much unusable. It’s as if the ISP (German Vodafone Cable) would detect what I plug into the modem and throttles the connection as soon as a router is plugged in. It doesn’t make sense because both routers worked just fine up until the day before yesterday and I can’t figure out any reason that would make sense technically. Does anyone have any ideas what could be happening here?

It just randomly started to work again about 40 hours after the issue first appeared. Still no idea what happened or why it started to work again but guess it must have been related to the ISP somehow…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.