Simultal Tri-band wifi on two miniPCI-E slots

I am about upgrade to Wi-Fi6E (with support 6Ghz band) - MediaTek (MT7922) as I like it more than broken iwl Intel drivers (like for PCI-E version of AX200,210…) (see https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203709)

My question aims to some solution how to have all three bands active with just two wifi cards.

Is there on market any dual-band wi-fi card (2.4+5GHz) which have two PHY and can transmit on both bands?

I have SSD drive in 3rd slot and also using USB wifi is not too much solution here.
Basically I need 2.4GHz band just for ESP32 and other IoT stuff, which does not support 5GHz.

5GHz I want as fall-back for devices without 6GHz support… Because here in Prague even 5GHz is so polluted by stupid UPC routers.

Turris MOX Wi-Fi 6 Addon (DBDC) | Discomp - networking solutions can do both 2.4 and 5 GHz at the same time. It is 2x2 MU-MIMO Wifi6.

@petrkr Take into consideration that antennas are 2,4/5GHz only and you will loose a lot of signal power when you use original ones with 6E

Or you might consider AW-7916-NPD (3x3 MU-MIMO, Wifi 6E, and can run at least 2 of the 3 bands concurrently). However, its support in Turris routers is experimental (you would probably need HBL updates). If you chose this card, I’d add AW-7915-NPD instead of AW-7915-NP1. It is 4x4 MU-MIMO 2.4 or 5 GHz (i.e. only one band at a time). So you could set 7916 to 2.4 and 6 GHz and 7915 to 5 GHz, which would give you 4x4 MIMO on 5 GHz and 3x3 MIMO on 2.4 and 6 GHz.

1 Like