Setting up Wireguard

Hi,

today it was time to set up Wireguard on my Turris Omnia (v6.0.3). After much reading and trial and error, I think… I have understood half of it :smiley:

But now I have the problem that I dont have a static IPv4 and therefore I dont know what I have to set in my client under “Endpoint” in wg0.conf. Can I use DDNS at this point? If yes, does my Omnia offer something like this? If no, how do you solve this?

[Peer]
PublicKey = <>
Endpoint = x.x.x.x:12345
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
PersistentKeepalive = 25

Other question. I have created a pre-shared key for my client, but who gets the private key (or the public key)? My Omnia or my client?

Thanks in advance for your help again :bouquet:

Sashka

Hi, for the IP adress problem You need a DDNS solution. This means, an external service that is updated by Your turris router with the currently valid address. The DDNS Server offers an URL, that provides the IP-adress. Just enter the URL (and the port) in the endpoint field. For example: ddns.service.com:1234
In my case, a DDNS service is included in the services of my web/mail provider.
Regards Harry

Hi Harry,

I got it working yesterday. I used the following pages and the package ddns-scripts for this. Thankfully, my domain provider offers such a DDNS service - as you mentioned.

With the pre-shared key I still have to look… somehow I cant find the right answer on the web at the moment :smiley: (Or it is so banal that I just have to try it out.)

I’m by no means a wireguard expert but a PSK or Pre Shared Key is not a key pair.
A PSK is a shared secret, and normally you need that shared secret on both ends.

If you happen to come across a situation where you need to generate a key pair, be very careful you understand what to do with the private key.

Dont know if this is for current version but may help
https://wiki.turris.cz/doc/en/public/wireguard

1 Like