Selling my Turris Omnia 2 GB

Hi,

i am selling my 2 GB black Turris, after I were not able to deploy a working VPN client connection. And doesnt have the time anymore to work on that.

The router came already with 2 loose antennas, I never fixed that, but it can be done easily i guess.

The Router is located in Sweden and can be send from here of course.

I payed 250 Euro initial and will selling it for 200 Euro, plus 20 Euro freight. Forgot to tell, that we can of course discuss the price.

Hi,

what VPN connection coudlnt you deploy? An OpenVPN client on Turris?
If this is the case, I had just a solution recently on this thread:

Oh i have the feeling i read every single instruction on the whole wide Internet :).

My problem was, that the VPN service started (PPTP or OVPN), but my clients were not using VPN, they were still showing internal IPs. So my guess is, that a forwarding rule is missing. And of course, I tried hundreds of variants, but never got it working.

I even have opened a thread here in the forum:

Hi there @leflo22

Iā€™m guessing that you mean your lan clients couldnā€™t connect via vpn?

Ie your home network -> turris-> vpn?

If thatā€™s the case but you can go via vpn direct from your router you are probably just missing a vpn rule in the firewall to allow lan to whatever your vpn interface is called.

Thatā€™s easily fixed - setup your vpn again and iā€™ll Send you an example if you like, assuming you want to give it a go?

1 Like

Hi TheChaZ,

that would be perfect, thanks already.
You are right, my clients cant connect via VPN, but the router does.

So I guess that a firewall rule is missing to forward the traffic.

I posted my config already here: OpenVPN issue TLS server/client
It would be perfect if you can give me a hint which rule i need to deploy.

Thanks!

Hi @leflo22,

Ok, so Iā€™m going to assume a couple of things:

You know how to get to the Luci configuration page of your router & login there rather than Foris.

Steps:

1. Setup and connect your VPN of choice - easier if it is up

2. Using ifconfig from the cmdline, determine the interface name of the VPN network adapter, unless you know it already. (If you are using a fairly regular configuration, with OpenVPN for example, this will usually be something like tun0)

3. Log into your Omnia Luci page and from the Network Tab hit the interfaces menu.

4. At the bottom of the interface page, click add new.

5. Fill out the name: vpn01, select unmanaged as the Protocol of the new interface

6. In the ā€˜Cover the following interfaceā€™ section, select your VPN interface from step 2 if itā€™s in the list. If not, then click the bottom option, custom interface and put the device from step 2 in there and submit.

7. This should take you to a page with Interfaces - (Name that you picked for 5) at the top. Verify that you can see your interface name and device by clicking physical settings tab. You should see (the only one selected) is a combination of your device and interface name.

8. If all of the above is as expected, click firewall settings, it should have unspecified clicked as a default, give that a name in the box next to it vpn_zone for example and then click save and apply.

9. Once your done, you should see the interface Overview page again, with a new network named as per the above from step 5. If not panic / throw router out of the window / sell it to me for 50 Eur :wink:

10. From the top menu, click Network firewall. You should now see your new vpn_zone at the bottom with a single rule (reject). This is why your lan clients donā€™t get forwarded as you guessed.

11. Select the edit button for the vpn_zone click masquerading & mss clamping, you should see the covered network name from the interface already ticked too. In the Inter-Zone Forwarding section, you need to click wan in the first (allow forward to destinations zones)
    and lan in the Allow forward from sources zones. Then save and apply and click back to overview.

Hopefully you will now have a working forwarding configuration, if not post some pics of the firewall part and Iā€™ll see if I can talk you through.

Good luck!!

1 Like

Ok, I tried it now 2 times, but the fact that I
a) had problems with getting opkg updates (some certificate issue)
and
b) had problems with log in via ssh (two host records)

led me to the conclussion, that I will invest some money into a new Asus router instead.
Not that i dont want to try to get it worked, but i dont have the time and need to have a stable router at home.

So thanks TheChaZ, i really appriciate your effort and it seems we were on the right way, but I will see my Turris now.

I could live with a price about 150 Euro plus shipping, anyone interested?

Can be interested, what are the shipping cost to france 20ā‚¬ seems to be a little expensive. If a smaller shipping price, Iā€™m your guy, paypal?

Hi Etienne,

20ā‚¬ was just a guess, without looking up the correct prices.
There is a possibiliy up to 2kg with a price of 10ā‚¬ (without insurance, just a regular parcel).
Up to 3kg costs 13ā‚¬.
I will send it via PostNord, so you can check yourself if you want :slight_smile: (postnord.se)

Not sure how much weight the parcel gonna have, but i can imagine not more than 3kg.

PayPal is of course possible.

How many antennas do you have what is the precise configuration (accessoriesā€¦)?

Can you please give me more details about the two loose antennas?! Maybe some pictures of the problem and the overall item

ā€œLoose antennasā€: Antenna not connected (loose wires inside case)

Hi @leflo22,

Aha nuts - sorry to hear I didnā€™t convert you. To be honest I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Omnia too, I mostly love it but occasionally want to set it on fire when itā€™s misbehaving.

If you want a final attempt before selling it on, Iā€™d recommend doing a fresh restore from a media image :

Re-flash router

This operation erases all settings and all data stored in the router.

4 LEDs

When the Turris Omnia router operating system is broken beyond repair, please use the following method for restoring the operating system image.

Download the latest version of Turris Omnia image form https://repo.turris.cz/omnia/medkit/omnia-medkit-latest.tar.gz. Save the file omnia-medkit-latest.tar.gz to USB flash to the root directory and put the USB flash to the front panel USB connector of the Turris Omnia router. The Turris Omnia router supports following filesystems: ext2/3/4, BtrFS, XFS and FAT. After that use reset button to select mode 4 (4 LEDs).

The Turris Omnia router will write the system image from the USB flash to the internal eMMC storage.

Process of rewriting the internal storage takes considerably longer time than snapshot rollback in the previous cases. However, indiaction of the process progress is the same as in case of rollback to the lastest snapshot (mode 2).

When the process has completed the taks you may remove the USB flash.

And then give it another go! :wink: