SDIO wifi stopped working after update to turris OS 6 on MOX continue

I’m currently at:

|Device|CZ.NIC Turris Mox Board|
| --- | --- |
|reForis version|1.4.1|
|Turris OS version|6.3.3|
|Turris OS branch|

[HBS](https://docs.turris.cz/geek/testing/#branches-available)

Kernel version 5.15.114

and still seeing

[  384.416862] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: CMD_RESP: cmd 0xb1 error, result=0x1
[  384.424075] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Failed to start the BSS
[  384.430031] mwifiex_sdio mmc1:0001:1: Failed to start AP

I set

config wifi-iface 'wifinet2'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs@d0000000/d00d0000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:0001/mmc1:0001:1'
        option network 'guest_turris'
        option ssid 'labgrid'
        option encryption 'sae-mixed'
        option device 'radio1'
        option mode 'ap'
        option key 'wont-tell-you-my-password'
        option wmm '0'
        option legacy_rates '1'

I noticed the wifi been in this state for very long time, but now I need use 2.4G. So:

Shouldn’t be better to turn of the wifi for users, when it’s unable to work?

edit: What I found out that switch to “legacy” mode in the options made it work, thou… then other options shouldn’t available in luci :frowning:

edit2: never mind, it just disconnect the device within seconds after connection is estabilished. I just brought some old cheap router and run WiFi from it.

So, what’s going to happen now?

Sae-mixed encryption means that encryption is WPA-3.

Change it to WPA-2 and male sure, that 802.11w is set to disabled. Not optional, but disabled!!! This is the main cause of wifi disconnections on many client devices.

Had similar problem, reported to support, their advice was: “Každopádně se oprava SDIO karty zcela do vydání Turris OS zjevně nedostala. Bude tedy potřeba, abyste nastavil šifrování pouze pomocí WPA 2 (lze nastavit i v reForisu) a povolil starší ryhlosti 802.11b (je třeba nastavit v LuCI v menu “Síť - Bezdrátová síť” a vybral úpravu oné SDIO karty od Marvellu).". Roughly translated: "Patch to SDIO card didn’t get to Turris OS. It would be needed to set encryption to WPA2 only (in reForis) and allow older speed 802.11b (in LuCI, menu Network - WiFi, select modification of this Marvell SDIO card).

Please, document it officially (and preferably disallow these options in configuration. This possibility to choose a broken config from UI is seriously crippling functionality for newbies / inexperienced users, which are not aware of how to play with it to reach working WiFi.

I am not sure about the “allow older speed 802.11b in LuCI” part, but the non-working WPA3 is already mentioned in documentation - Limitation of the SDIO card on Turris MOX

Nevertheless, I see your point and I agree that it would be more helpful for inexperienced users, to have this workaround mentioned in docs, instead of just " It does not support WPA3 mode."

1 Like

It is exact quotation from mail to me from support (including typo;-)

AFAIK (last time I checked, so I could be wrong), when ieee80211w option is used in combination with WPA2, then this option should be ignored or outright proposed for deletion by changes in LuCI, so it should not matter for WPA2.

But I guess that it never hurts to delete it anyway, when switching from WPA3 to WPA2.

what about blocking WPA3 in LuCi? I would guess that since some HW doesn’t support it, it should be adjustable?

What kind of blocking? Just set it to WPA-2 and make sure 802.11w is set to “disabled”. This should help, because many devices has really problem with that 802.11w setting.

I have had wifi problems on my older BB Key2 phone. It was even 2 times in service centre due to disconnections and they said everything with phone is OK. I have changed 2 wifi cards in my Omnia. Then I bought Unihertz Titan Slim (yeah, HW keyboard is a must for me) and it has overall wifi problems, which their support had to solve and its firmware was totally untolerant with 802.11w setting - comparing to Key2, disconenctions were every few minutes.

I dont know, from which version of TOS, 802.11w is present, but after setting it to disabled - all my home wifi problems were gone.

My point was directed towards other users. The Turris should be a device that is easy to maintain for regular users who do not spend their time on forums discussing which WebUI config options work or not. :wink:

Well WPA-3 is more secure and not all devices have problem with it. Turris team is trying to have secure device, but they give you option to lower your security, when you need to.

For example Google has decided to not support older and less secure enterprise wifi since Android 11 december 2020 update ( https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-break-enterprise-wifi-connection/ ) and there is no option to turn this off (at least not on that ROM I have installed). That means, that after installing LineageOS 20 (based on Android13) on my phone, I was unable to connect to wifi at my work. I have contacted our IT department and they said, that some devices can connect (mostly Samsung which made probably some hack into their ROM) and they are not planning to upgrade their hardware or settings for now… They just made guest wifi access for me, where I have to login with username and password everytime I am disconnected…

So, Turris team is very kind to their users from this point of view. :wink:

Dear Turris team, when the new avaliable versions of SDIO wi-fi card firmware (Marvell 88W8997) will be tested? The devices are still on sale.

The Turris MOX is absolutely waste of money. It doesn’t work properly as a controlled wifi, therefore I configured like stand alone AP. Also this is not working for some month.
When would be possible to use Marvell 88W8997?

1 Like

All the Turris team has to do is ask NXP for new firmware that is no longer public. But that hasn’t happened yet.

Ok, what do you recommend? Any way how to use MOX further?

1 Like

Asking CZ.NIC for newer firmware.