Rescue image not booting

Hi Turris-Team,

I tried to upgrade a bit older Turris Omnia RTROM01-2G. Unfortunately I was not successful updating to Turris OS 4 using the “Re-flash router” method. It would just not pick up the tarball from the USB flash drive. So I tried to reflash the router from scratch using the serial boot method (https://docs.turris.cz/hw/omnia/serial-boot/). This worked fine for U-Boot, and I was able to flash the rescue-image. However, when booting the rescue image seems to be stuck:

[    0.000000] Linux version 4.14.180 (beast@slave07) (gcc version 7.5.0 (OpenWrt GCC 7.5.0 21454a7)) #0 SMP Tue Jun 2 23:24:26 2020
[    4.557438] armada38x-rtc f10a3800.rtc: setting system clock to 2020-06-12 21:55:59 UTC (1591998959)
[    4.568006] Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024K
ip: OVERRUN: Bad address

Any idea what this could be? How can reinstall a working recovery image?

Not sure whether board specific but might be interesting for developers which board revision Revisions - Turris Documentation your node is.

It appears to be a bug in the image (probably compiling) [U-Boot 2019.07 | rescue-image] 5-LED & 7-LED rescues fail (#602) · Issues · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab

Since the repo only offers the latest compiled image but no version tree you probably should contact support Support - Turris Documentation

Alternatively find another initram image for armv7l that can be booted from USB and has TFTF or ssh support build in.

Did you try different USB media and/or filesystems? Mishaps in that regard are not an uncommon occurrence

Output from the console should provide a hint, e.g. whether the USB drive or FS is not recognised or the medkit image is not found.

Not sure whether board specific but might be interesting for developers which board revision Revisions - Turris Documentation your node is.

The GPIO headers are missing and the button is blue, 4 memory chips, so I assume its a CZ11NIC20.

It appears to be a bug in the image (probably compiling) [U-Boot 2019.07 | rescue-image] 5-LED & 7-LED rescues fail (#602) · Issues · Turris / Turris OS / Turris OS packages · GitLab

Indeed, that seems to be what I see as well.

Alternatively find another initram image for armv7l that can be booted from USB and has TFTF or ssh support build in.

That is what I ended up doing: I used the recovery image from Index of /omnia/nor_fw/, which to my surprise worked with U-Boot 2019.07 just fine!

Output from the console should provide a hint, e.g. whether the USB drive or FS is not recognised or the medkit image is not found.

Yeah I did not had serial console connected yet, so I can’t tell anymore. Anyways, with the old recovery image I was able to install @kkudielka’s OpenWrt builds, so all good :slight_smile:

1 Like