Replace Knot and dnsmasq with ISC BIND and DHCP

Hi guys,

As the title says - Is it possible to replace the builtin Knot and dnsmasq with ISC BIND and DHCP?
Is here anyone who tried this?

Thanks.

Hello.

I’m not aware of anyone doing this. What’s your motivation? What are you trying to achieve? I’m curious :slight_smile:

Hi Petr,

Thanks for replying on this!
Here are few of my motivations behind this:

• I don’t have the time to understand how this combination of dnsmasq and Knot and what each of them is doing
  • if I want to configure something differently, need to understand 2 different tools and their configuration - i.e. I am not doing anything with it
  • recently I wanted to do a query type of ANY (e.g.: dig any google.com) - guess what response did I get from my router? Yes, you are right, it was NOTIMP and as I found later on the forum, KNOT has decided not to implement this query type (your reply on another discussion thread: Problem with Google)
  • I don’t know a lot about dnsmasq project, but few years ago I saw a recording of a session from Linux days Prague with Petr Krcmar and Ondrej Caletka abou Buysbox and dnsmasq. Ondrej started this with a note “I’m going to speak about a program which I don’t really like” (free translation) - https://youtu.be/g7w1p9hZlIA?t=25m17s … since this moment I am not much in favor of seeing this and I feel like that using this in Omnia is just a cheap solution to do things the easiest possible way - if I am wrong and dnsmasq was chosen after through and long consideration of other alternatives and came out as the best possible solution, than I apologize and I will be happy to hear/read the intents behind this decision.

thanks

Thanks!

• The split is quite simple: DNS is done by knot-resolver (by unbound on Turris 1.x), and dnsmasq does DHCP (v4). There’s also a script that passes DHCP-assigned names from dnsmasq to knot-resolver.
  • ANY query type is currently in the process of getting deprecated by IETF, though in a different way than what knot-resolver does ATM.
  • Turris OS is based on OpenWRT, and they use dnsmasq for DHCP (and DNS), so it’s more like the team did not choose to deviate from OpenWRT in this respect (DHCP). Note: I can’t speak for the Turris team.