Random Devices cannot connect to random internet endpoints

I have an issue with my Omnia which is hard to explain, as I cannot seem to determine why it is happening. Regardless of the OS version [Factory reset or the newest 6.0], certain devices on my network are not able to resolve to certain endpoints on the internet. It has caused me to remove my Omnia from daily service as it is completely unreliable in regard to internet access. It has impacted multiple FireTV sticks and cell phones [and possibly other devices], but here are some of the issues I have when using the Omnia:

-LG Android Mobile:
–Google news feeds are very slow to load [or crash and do not load]
–[Game] Mario Kart Tour never connects and gives “internet unavailable” errors
–[Game] Magic: The Gathering is extremely slow to load and play or times out on load

-Samsung Android Mobile:
–[Game] Harry Potter game is slow to load and play or times out on load
–Facebook is slow to load and navigate

-Fire TV Sticks [multiple]
–Disney+ will not load
–Netflix will not load consistently [usually fails]

-Alexa Speakers
–Songs will randomly stop playing/disconnect [more than usual… :wink: ]
—Album-art will not load consistently or will load very slowly [toward end of a song instead of immediately]

These issues persist whether the Omnia is factory reset or is on the newest OS, so the issue seems to be hardware but all functions of the Omnia work otherwise. Sites like Disney+ will load from a PC browser without issue, but fail on the FireTV sticks every time. [I also have multiple AP’s and this will occur whether the device is connected to the Omnia WiFi AP or not.]

When I use the FiOS supplied router or my Netgear Orbi in place of the Omnia, all these issues disappear and all devices connect to all internet endpoints. This clears the ISP being the issue [I would think], so I am at a loss as to why this is happening and what can be done to troubleshoot this further.

Anyone else run into a similar issue?

No one has the experience you have. Advice is not possible because you have not given any details or your attempts at a solution. Just general symptoms.

Therefore, it would be good to add any specifics of your setup. Since when is the problem manifesting itself, DNSSEC settings, DNS forwarding, error messages in the log, whether the problem is also manifesting itself on devices connected by cable, wifi environment interference, possible existence of interference from microwave equipment, 5G channel selected (channel 7-16 or higher channels with possible DFS collision)and its bandwidth (20,40,80), et cetera et cetera …

1 Like

I did give info on what troubleshooting I did and what I ruled out as a result. The issue seems to be specifically in the Omnia router functionality, as it happens to WiFi and Ethernet devices and persists through a factory reset of the device. I currently have the Omnia hooked-up as standalone as I cannot use it as my primary router and I can recreate the issues with my mobile devices connected to it at-will. The issue do not persist on any other router I use, so I have ruled out ISP or modem issues as a result.

–I factory reset the Omnia and the issue persists even with the original OS version, pre-update.
–Issues happens to wifi devices regardless of what AP they connect to when the Omnia is the router.
–Ethernet devices [the Fire TV’s in particular] also exhibit the issue, but laptops going resolving the same/similar endpoint [Disney+] do not exhibit the issue [using WiFi or Ethernet].

The issue started at an unknown timeas it is hit-or-miss with what is affected and did not become obvious immediately, so I can’t give you a timeline of when it begun but it persists when the Omnia is used as a router on all snapshots i can rollback to and with factory reset applied. It is not a WiFi issue as other routers do not have the issue and Ethernet devices also show the issue. I have checked logs [that I am aware of] and I see no errors showing or being obvious, so if there is a specific log you want to see i’ll grab it and post it redacted of any personal info.

It is difficult to advise without some guidance information and you have to proceed by trial / error.

The usual basic help for wifi problems with an unclear cause is to reset the wifi in reForis-Network Settings-Wi-Fi-Reset Wi-Fi Settings at the very bottom of the page. Even if a factory reset is done - I would try that option as well.

0 - The HW part of the wifi is physically in its original state ?
1 - check to see if the cables between the wifi card, diplexer and antenna are connected correctly. Are they loose ( Released by)?
2 - I repeat the query … on 5G wifi configuration (channel, bandwidth).
3 - Dtto bandwidth 2,4 Ghz. Set both bands to 20 Mhz.
4 - What does the wifi configuration look like in Luci:
… WMM Mode enabled ?
… in bandwidth 2.4, Allow legacy 802.11b rates disabled ?
… How is the - Coverage cell density set ?

If there is no general problem with the connection speed, I would consider changing the reForis-Network Settings-DNS : enable-disable … Use forwarding, Enable DNSSEC.

My guess is it is DNS issue, try to reconfigure your DNS, or try another dns resolver.

[Just to make sure this is clear, this setup was working fine for years and stopped working while nothing was physically changed in hardware.] I also removed the Sata card to see if there was any change. The issue persists.

0 - It is not in the configuration from “new in box” but is in the same configuration since ~2020. [no 5Ghz card installed, 2.4Ghz card in the middle slot, 4x SATA in the slot behind the USB plug]
1 - I disconnected and reconnected all the wifi cables to the 2.4Ghz card. all antenna confirmed tight [and repeatable with other antenna attached]
2 - 5G wifi not used on this build; no card installed.
3 - auto/40. Set to 20Mhz [2.4Ghz]
4 - [from a mobile browser]
-WMM: ‘unchecked’ / disabled
-802.11b rates: ‘unchecked’ / disabled
-‘density’: Disabled

DNSSEC was enabled, but forwarding was not. I enabled ‘Forwarding’ and rebooted. The issue persists and there was no internet using the Omnia. I then disabled forwarding and the internet became available shortly after disabling the setting.

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to post snippets of the log at the exact time when the problems manifest themselves