R11e-5HacT / R11e-2HPnD very bad

Hello Users

I have installed two new WLAN PCI Express cards but now the WLAN quality is extremely bad. I have built these two cards: R11e-5HacT / R11e-2HPnD and two Linksys WRT002ANT WLAN antennas.

What am I doing wrong?

I must also honestly say that I am a beginner and therefore I do not know any more. Have I overlooked something?

Two other users here in the forum have almost the same WLAN setup and I just ordered the hardware and imitated everything …

Update:

My router is in the living room and that is about 10 meters away and at present my AVM WLAN repeater does not run. But with my Samsung Smartphone I can already build a connection but the WLAN signal is too bad …

Could you give the output of the following commands

iw wlan1 scan

ifconfig

iwconfig

cat /etc/config/wireless

iw reg get

Do remove ssid and remove passwords.

Also have made sure that all those plugs are tightly in place? I have replaced the 2.4 GHz and those MMXC plugs i really had to push it in to place.

Which antennas have you placed there? By looking at the 2.4 GHz cables counting from left. No 2 + No 4 antennas are for the 2.4 Ghz while 1,3,5 have been set to be used by the 5 GHz card.

btw, which wifi-network are is bad? Or are they both bad?

I have all MMCX plug checked again and all plug connections are ok.

If I am in the living room me then the WLAN is 2.4 GHz good but in the bedroom all WLAN networks are very bad. I have yesterday my avm wlan repeater restarted and set up and now the 2.4 GHz WLAN is much better also in the bedroom! Very left and quite right are the 5 GHz antennas installed and the last 5 Ghz antenna is in the middle of the router.

I have today 3 TP-Link TL-ANT2408CL antennas get and I have replaced with the original antennas and now the WLAN signal is better and hopefully the 5 Ghz WLAn is also more stable!

Here is still some smaller Info … left and right are very expensive Linksys WRT002ANT antennas…

Better News

With my laptop, WI-FI has never caused problems aberr my Samsung Smartphone 6s again always interruptions!

But now with the WLAN amplifier is 2.4 GHz my Wi-FI much faster and better the Samsung 6s is working without interruptions! :slight_smile:

Looking at things, you don’t provide important information.

In your first picture it looks like you only have 2 TP link antennas in your second picture you have those 2 TP link antennas with additional 3 antennas(middle)…and replaced the original antennas.

So please could you explain to me from left to right which antennas are which?

Could you also please explain to me how your home situation is. Are yo living in a flat? Or in a normal house? How many floors? How many meters is between the Omnia and other rooms…how many walls/doors? Location of your Omnia? What is put next to the Omnia?

Here, also read this article. Very informative to know.

http://www.liveport.co.uk/wireless-antenna-properties

According to the picture is the location of the router completely bad . poor location is just next to walls and other reflecting surfaces

You are right the router is currently at the very bottom of the ground in a wall unit. As soon as I have new longer network cable then the router will install higher, so that the wireless connection is better

Now new it is 3 TP antennas at the router and before it have 3 original antennas installed

So I live in a 3.5 room apartment. The router is located 13 meters away and there are two doors. But the doors are always open.

LIke you, i also live in a apartment. The BEST coverage is to have 5 GHz instead of 2.4GHz. In a apartment-building we tend to have MANY neighbors. 2.4GHz waves go much further then the 5GHz waves and because of this our 2.4GHz will have much interference (with the outcome of 2.4GHz disconnect & reconnect often, low speeds). The chance that you would be having a good signal is fairly low chance.

However because like you as we both are living in a apartment-building and do not have multiple floors, 5GHz is more then well suited for this job.

Indeed you have to look at your personal situation compared to mine. When you buy future devices try to include WiFi 5GHz as a MUST. Making it all compatible with your 5GHz WiFi. 5GHz at the moment is better for the following things.

• Higher data speeds
  • More secure (up until now i have not found any way to hack 5GHz WiF-networks, not talking about WPS off course but that one is off by default on the Turris Omnia)
  • Shorter wavelengts and thus very low interference from your neighbors
  • More channels to hop on, although not really that necessary because of less interference.

A few things to adapt to you situation

• Have 2.4GHz network only for devices that are compatible with 2.4GHz spectrum (I use this one for example for my 2.4GHz only devices such as my WiFi printer and a old tablet to access to my eBook-server on my NAS to download the eBooks).
  • Have your Omnia placed somewhere in the middle of your apartment
  • Have your antennas be NOT more then 5 dBi (more dBi will only make the signal weaker - flatten the donut in both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz case).

I know you have bought the TP-link 8 dBi antennas, but also with that case, it will only make your coverage through out the apartment more worse. As you can see in this image.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the detailed report. In few days I will put my router in the apartment in another area, so that the 5 GHz connection becomes better.