I have weird problem I am trying to debug for a quite.
TLDR: I cannot print from laptops on none of the printers after few hours of printer idle. Core issue is incomplete ARP entry on client:
? (192.168.0.5) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet]
My setup consists from Turris Omnia, multiple laptops, Raspberry Pi and two printers. Turris has IP address 192.168.0.1, printers have IP address 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.6 and are in LAN zone. All devices are in same segment (e.g. no firewall between hosts).
- All DHCP clients receive IP address according to DHCP rules (those with fixed entry as defined, others from pool);
- Client can print without any issue;
- After while (few hours, did not tracked exact time) client cannot print. Printer seems stalled;
- Client cannot ping printer;
- After looking to ARP table I can see this entry:
? (192.168.0.5) at (incomplete) on en0 ifscope [ethernet];
- Upon SSH to Turris I can see normal ARP entry:
192.168.0.5 0x1 0x2 0c:84:dc:3e:19:47 * br-lan;
- If I run ping on laptop to printer (ping 192.168.0.5) and in same time I ping from Turris to printer (again ping 192.168.0.5) after first ping on Turris I will receive ICMP response on laptop;
- ARP entry looks normal on laptop again:
? (192.168.0.5) at c:84:dc:3e:19:47 on en0 ifscope [ethernet];
- printing works for few hours;
I can setup cron job to ping every 10 minutes or so printers, however… I do not like it. I want it solved systematic way.
If you have any hint where I can look I would be very grateful.